Why is this hose pulled off?

John Kogel

I had occasion to inspect 2 homes about one block apart. Same age, same floor plans, same furnaces. Texas Furnace Co high efficiency gas furnaces dated 2006. Both have the condensate hose pulled off so that the drip is corroding the cabinet.

Why would the HVAC dude do this? Or do these hoses blow off on their own?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141018173545_Dscn4815.jpg

73.07 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141018173559_Dscn6524.jpg

68.3 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141018173617_Dscn6520.jpg

68.29 KB

Does it really make a difference why the hose was off? Where's the benefit in trying to assign blame?

You may be misunderstanding my thought process. I don't need to assign blame.

I need to know if it was willfully removed. If so, why? Was it causing a problem?

One hose, somebody forgot or it blew off.

Two furnaces, same hose off, I wonder if there is a mysterious reason for removing the hose.

\I need to know if it was willfully removed. If so, why? Was it causing a problem?

It sure seems to me John that you could burn up some valuable time trying to get such answers. And no matter what they would be I'll bet that you'd make the same recommendation to your client - let the HVAC contractor figure it out.

\I need to know if it was willfully removed. If so, why? Was it causing a problem?

It sure seems to me John that you could burn up some valuable time trying to get such answers.

Yeah, John, you moron. That would be like going to countless chicken dinner education classes, then bragging about how much more you know that the HVAC techs out there (not that I know someone JUST like that in my area).

It took a while to get my interest, but now that I'm here.....

Was/is the hose plugged or open and freely draining?

I just read it too. Honestly, I probably would have just put the hose back on.

I could have done that. Twice. But then we wouldn't be having this educational discussion. [:)]

The hoses are not plugged. I wanted the furnaces to be checked out, the real reason I didn't put them back on.

I am with John on this. if I saw two off I would wonder why and come here and ask. I may have put it back on, but likely would have punted to hvac tech. I see many of these hoses that are rotted, swollen, leaking etc. but to see two that are in pretty good condition and off nipple would pique my interest.

It sure seems to me John that you could burn up some valuable time trying to get such answers. And no matter what they would be I'll bet that you'd make the same recommendation to your client - let the HVAC contractor figure it out.

[:)] Eric, a poem from the Great War -Our's is not to question why, our's is but to do and die.

Yeah, I'd probably ask too. Modern HVAC equipment continues to evolve and provide multiple conundrums in problem solving.

I asked the question I asked because I've been seeing brand new installs with the hose not connected and plugged; it just hangs there. I was told it's a secondary drain for service, which made no sense. I was hoping someone would tell me what the second plugged hose is.

Yeah, John, you moron. That would be like going to countless chicken dinner education classes, then bragging about how much more you know that the HVAC techs out there (not that I know someone JUST like that in my area).

No reason to throw John under the bus because you have such a dislike for me Jerry. And as for the HVAC guys - there are a few smart ones out there. But way too many of them haven't a clue about what they should be doing. If you haven't figured this out Jerry then perhaps those chicken dinner classes may have more value than you give them credit for.

BTW - I didn't see your name on the attendance roster for the GLC's July conference with Kenny Hart's 8 hour HVAC program in Mt. Prospect. Out of curiosity Jerry where do you get your HVAC (Heating, ventilation and air conditioning) education? You're always welcome to our chapter events but be forewarned, we don't do much "101" stuff.

And as for the HVAC guys - there are a few smart ones out there. But way too many of them haven't a clue about what they should be doing. If you haven't figured this out Jerry then perhaps those chicken dinner classes may have more value than you give them credit for.

Did you even read what you wrote in your earlier post?

"It sure seems to me John that you could burn up some valuable time trying to get such answers. And no matter what they would be I'll bet that you'd make the same recommendation to your client - let the HVAC contractor figure it out."

As Walter would opine, Good Gawd. . .

BTW - I didn't see your name on the attendance roster for the GLC's July conference with Kenny Hart's 8 hour HVAC program in Mt. Prospect. Out of curiosity Jerry where do you get your HVAC (Heating, ventilation and air conditioning) education? You're always welcome to our chapter events but be forewarned, we don't do much "101" stuff.

Eric,

I was with you until the snarky comment about GLC and education. I am sure you did NOT see my name there either. I guess I am listed among those that do not believe everything Kenny Hart preaches. I like Kenny, he is one smart guy, but sitting in his class does not teach you how to inspect nor think.

I am surprised you took that tack.

I like Kenny, he is one smart guy

Les: It's my view that you learn from many smart guys, not just one. They are hard to come by and as inspectors we too seldom hear from them. Kenny's presentation set quite a few guys back on their heels which was my objective for his coming to Chicago.

As for the GLC - it's tough searching out top drawer speakers and it can be expensive. We're have the same issues as the Ohio, Virginia, Arizona and a couple of other strong ASHI chapters - competing with free and online options. But what really is a concern for me is that the caliber of inspectors is not what it should be or what we should be able to generate for the client. Sorry about the "snarky" remark but my expectations for this industry are quite high and I realize that some don't and never will follow my thinking.

Eric,

Thanks for reply. That is one thing about you that I really respect!

I agree about the caliber of inspectors in the field. You and I disagree about how to raise the level.

I don't think anyone can fault your intention.

I can still feel the sting from the "caliber" of education in the 1990's and early 2000's.

I sat with your education committee for many years and am fully aware of the trials of filling the hours.