New construction

Chad Fabry

Did you fail it?

Marc

For this and about 50 other things. Rough framing is horrific, rough plumbing is worse and they cut through a 14 inch lvl to run heat. The windows in the the bedrooms are 28 inches by 56 inches and they should have been 2' 8" by 5' 6". On a gut feeling, I kicked a shear wall on the garage face and I moved it an inch on the foundation.

During the foundation inspection, I made them add all kinds of anchors- I have no idea why the wall wasn't anchored.

I ordered the roof covering removed and replaced- no starter strip, no ice and water, no underlayment, stapled not nailed and the shingle offsets were one inch. The installer racked the roof so, with the one inch offsets it's almost like not having a roof at three foot intervals.

I called the owner and told him to find a new contractor. I reminded him that I told him the house couldn't be built for the contract price and that I said at that time his contractor was a thief, an idiot or both.

To make matters worse, even though th contractor took his draws, he never paid for any of the materials. The owner is out almost a hundred grand, the house has a hundred in liens against it and there might be 50 grand worth of asset there.

Did you fail it?

Marc

For this and about 50 other things. Rough framing is horrific, rough plumbing is worse and they cut through a 14 inch lvl to run heat. The windows in the the bedrooms are 28 inches by 56 inches and they should have been 2' 8" by 5' 6". On a gut feeling, I kicked a shear wall on the garage face and I moved it an inch on the foundation.

During the foundation inspection, I made them add all kinds of anchors- I have no idea why the wall wasn't anchored.

I ordered the roof covering removed and replaced- no starter strip, no ice and water, no underlayment, stapled not nailed and the shingle offsets were one inch. The installer racked the roof so, with the one inch offsets it's almost like not having a roof at three foot intervals.

I called the owner and told him to find a new contractor. I reminded him that I told him the house couldn't be built for the contract price and that I said at that time his contractor was a thief, an idiot or both.

To make matters worse, even though th contractor took his draws, he never paid for any of the materials. The owner is out almost a hundred grand, the house has a hundred in liens against it and there might be 50 grand worth of asset there.

That sucks! But it's nice to see you're kickin' some ass. Nice job Chad!

Did you fail it?

Marc

That sucks! But it's nice to see you're kickin' some ass. Nice job Chad!

I would rather arrive and say, "That looks awesome! Nice job!" I truly hate the conflict that comes with the job.

By any chance was this a spec house?

As an ahj a few yrs ago, during the faux frenzy of the housing bubble, I noticed a spec builder's siding crew installing hardi-type lap siding on my way to look at another of his masterpieces. Siding right over osb sheathing, no wrb. I stopped the crew, issued a stop work, and not much later the siding crew was removing the stuff and starting over.