UFFI?

Leighton Jantz

Hi guys, its the rookie, I've been following this site as I've been taking the HI course and wouldn't you know on my second practice inspection for CAHPI, I believe I've come across UFFI, I found an old thread from '10 where there was a picture but this looks slightly different. It has the consistency of peanut butter but it's not sticky. Was I correct? I just pushed down on it I didn't try to break it up.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201521823452_DSCF1052.jpg

41.19 KB

Do you have a close-up pic? Preferably some in your hand?

In my area, old UFFI is pure white and it's never perfectly flat like that. It looks like meringue. As Kurt said, it breaks into a very fine powder - almost like flour - when you rub it.

The stuff in your picture looks like blown-in white fiberglass.

I'm having a hard time visualizing an insulation that's anything like peanut butter.

Not UFFI in photo. Agree with other posters. I have found a relationship between the color and the density/weight. Most pure white is really light, can't feel a baseball size piece in your palm. The yellowish seems to have more weight and a little less likely to powder.

We see lots of it in Mid-Michigan. It has caused us a lot of stress over the years.

I don't find it much nowadays, maybe once every several years, but it's intact. When we've opened walls with it, it's intact and functional. Maybe it's different elsewhere. Lots of it got installed badly....that'll make it fail real quick.

We put it in a lot of Kalamazoo houses years ago. It's the only retrofit material that actually worked reasonably well.

I don't find it much nowadays, maybe once every several years, but it's intact. When we've opened walls with it, it's intact and functional. Maybe it's different elsewhere. Lots of it got installed badly....that'll make it fail real quick.

We put it in a lot of Kalamazoo houses years ago. It's the only retrofit material that actually worked reasonably well.

There are neighborhoods in our area that are nearly 75% uffi'd. It worked really well if applied correctly.

I think the original post sure looks like wet cellulose.

well I'm glad I went back before handing in report, in my defence, the insulation is VERY light coloured grey and because they sprayed right over soffit vents there is a 1" spongy/ moist layer on top. It's cellulose fiber. Guess I learned my lesson, go ahead and get my fingers dirty. If they clear insulation from soffits, cellulose won't dry out will it?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201521916101_DSCF1070.jpg

33.66 KB[:-banghea