What kind of a panel is this?

Denray

The black conductors are coming from the main panel, which is a 100 amp single breaker panel. At this box the red and black go to the house sub panel. The yeller taps go to the garage sub panel. That small white wire shouldn't be tapped in there either. What do you call this kind of box? The small wire taps are wrong, correct?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201541319167_Haenni41215%20112%20(Large).jpg

77.02 KB

The black conductors are coming from the main panel, which is a 100 amp single breaker panel. At this box the red and black go to the house sub panel. The yeller taps go to the garage sub panel. That small white wire shouldn't be tapped in there either. What do you call this kind of box? The small wire taps are wrong, correct?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201541319167_Haenni41215%20112%20(Large).jpg

77.02 KB

Transfer switch.

Marc

Shouldn't there be a lock on that? Looks way easy for a kid to get into.

There's no requirement for one. When people put locks on these things they tend to lose the key or forget the combination. I suggest using heavy duty cable ties instead. It's enough of a deterrent to keep the really little kids out and bigger kids, well at some point they've got to learn about electricity . . .

Shouldn't there be a lock on that? Looks way easy for a kid to get into.

There's no requirement for one. When people put locks on these things they tend to lose the key or forget the combination. I suggest using heavy duty cable ties instead. It's enough of a deterrent to keep the really little kids out and bigger kids, well at some point they've got to learn about electricity . . .

A screw shackle makes a good lock. Kid has to learn vise-grips and rust first, then he gets to learn wiring. [:)]

Yes the doubletaps are wrong.

Marc is 'transfer switch' a Cajun expression for 'disconnect switch'? [:)]

. . . Usually I would expect to see a dead fronqtscrewed in place to cover live parts.

The dead front is required to cover the live parts while the switch is being operated. Since this switch is supposed to be operated with the cover closed, no further dead front is needed. I don't know why, but most switches that I see don't have the dead fronts screwed in place.

It`s a disconnect, not transfer switch. Should not have two wires ever under one lug. Front door will not open or should not when energized. Can`t tell what amperage this is by picture but I would say it`s probably 100 amp. The smaller wire is not rated for that size disconnect or breaker that feeds it and is in danger as it is on an overrated breaker. No code violation for not having lock but would never pass an electrical inspection. Obviously homeowner or friend installed with no permit or inspection.