Romex: Burn or manufacturing defect?

kallisti5

I've seen something very similar many times when I pulled the romex too tightly up against something metallic (partially driven staple, nail, plumbers plates, etc) and created the marks you see. When I see it, I look for sheathing torn open and insulation damaged. That's about it.

Marc

something got on it in the process of fishing???

It caught on something during the pulling.

I start my new construction wiring jobs by bridging an inside corner nearest the SE with a pipe that has a 1000' ft spool of 12/2 wg on it. I pull all the home runs first. Some runs might go clear across the house and will snag sometimes. If it snags on metal, it'll make those marks if I pull too hard.

Marc

something got on it in the process of fishing???

It caught on something during the pulling.

I start my new construction wiring jobs by bridging an inside corner nearest the SE with a pipe that has a 1000' ft spool of 12/2 wg on it. I pull all the home runs first. Some runs might go clear across the house and will snag sometimes. If it snags on metal, it'll make those marks if I pull too hard.

Ah. That makes sense and explains the odd shape of the marks... I took a close up gander and while there is some disturbance of the surface, it doesn't seem very deep.

Thanks for the input! Given the close proximity to the natural gas line I just wanted to be *sure* :-)

• 2 months later...