garage door opener malfunction

John Dirks Jr

In testing a garage door opener today I discovered the button needed to be held down to get the door to close. If you pushed the button and let go, the door would reverse to the opened position. I pointed this out to the owner and she said if you wait a while it will work without having to hold the button down. So I waited a while then tried and it worked as it should with one push and release of the button. The owner told me if you walk through the safety beam, you have to wait for it to work with one push.

Any idea whats causing this?

The safety sensors are not aligned - or a leaf or a spider web is blocking the beam. It's constantly trying to reverse as if an object interrupted the beam. I think waiting after crossing the beam may be an odd coincidence.

It's always been quicker and easier to fix it than write it.

I have had sunlight at a particular time of day cause similar issues. Rare but I have seen it more than once.

When you have sunlight interrupting the beam try installing an empty toilet paper roll over both beams. It shields the beams from the sunlight and works very well.

The sensors can also just totally fail. Mine did recently and I just had a new unit installed. The old unit was about ten years old and getting noisier and noisier. My maintenance routine was not working to smooth out it's noisy and jerky operation.

The new operator units sends me text messages when it opens/closes. It is very quiet and simply is close to impossible to hear from inside the home when it opens/closes.