Guesses welcome

This is on the right side of a 100 year old house. It is about 7 feet above ground.

There is no obvious purpose for hose. There is no water supply nearby. The central air conditioning condensate drains to the other side of the house. There is no water conditioning equipment in the home.

I was thinking it may be for someone to run water into the leader pipe to see if the flow is ok. Maybe some type of water collection system to use the roof water for irrigation?

Leader pipes lead underground to an unknown place (possibly a dry well or storm sewer system).

Any other guesses?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20167281062_Unusual%20Hose%20-%20Copy.jpg

64.98 KB

Steven,

obviously it is an aux rain water delivery hose. The hose will be cut at an angle inside the downspout to catch rainwater and deliver it to a plant somewhere close. Seriously, i remember seeing something like this in Mother Earth News 40yrs ago. Maybe the distance from the gutter is more meaningful than the distance to grade.

Could be an air hose to blast the gutters.

Actually - I would not bet a nickle on any explaination!

Could there have been a window AC unit nearby, before central was installed?

I've seen quite a few hose-condensate drains connected to downspouts. It's usually because the window unit drains onto something and makes a mess.

Good guess!

Hard to tell. Windows were all replaced. No evidence of old windows units.

Electric outlets nearby were mostly improperly wired three-prong outlets fed by knob and tube wiring (don't get me started). Not sure if they could have even supported a window unit.

What's within reach of the other end of the hose. Obviously, it's either taking water out of the downspout or putting it in. As it's not going to catch much water just being shoved into the downspout, my bet would be on the window unit condensate drain if a window is within reach.

My bet is on connecting a hose to flush out the in-ground drains of debris. Might be easier than jamming the hose down the downspout from the gutter/roof above.

I know I have to flush the leafy matter out of my drains on a periodic basis.

what was on the end of the hose behind the downspout (male-outlet or female-inlet end)?

Charles

My bet is on connecting a hose to flush out the in-ground drains of debris. Might be easier than jamming the hose down the downspout from the gutter/roof above.

Charles

A downspout enema?

what was on the end of the hose behind the downspout (male-outlet or female-inlet end)?

Charles

...best guess yet, brethren...