Gas Fireplace Lever?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm no expert but think I'm certain the advice you've been given is not exactly correct.  I have a Marco fireplace installed 25 years ago.  The manual clearly shows that the lever you are referring to (on the side, not above your logs) is actually not a damper control lever but an outside air control lever which you should open before starting a fire in addition to opening your damper (doesn't matter whether your fireplace has a gas insert or not).  This air control lever is an optional accessory which provides combustion air from outside the dwelling and improves fireplace efficiency.  The damper, on the other hand, is a necessity for getting the smoke and carbon monoxide to exit up the chimney versus back into your home.  It of course should be opened before you start a fire and until the fire is out.  My understanding is you can (and should) at least leave the outside air intake lever in the open position if you want to close your damper and fireplace dooors once your fire is out but is still hot with glowing embers.  

• 1 year later...

hey gang, apologies for bring this thread back from the dead, I have this lever on the side of my gas fireplace as well.  I also have a much larger lever at the top of the fireplace to open the flute.  Wanted to know what position I should have the "outside air control" valve set to (the little lever on the side, not the flute), open or closed, when I have a fire going.  Reading what Joe wrote, seems I should have it open, but not sure, the posts are kind of confusing me.  Thanks.

Edited by raffivegas

On 1/29/2022 at 8:21 AM, raffivegas said:

hey gang, apologies for bring this thread back from the dead, I have this lever on the side of my gas fireplace as well.  I also have a much larger lever at the top of the fireplace to open the flute.  Wanted to know what position I should have the "outside air control" valve set to (the little lever on the side, not the flute), open or closed, when I have a fire going.  Reading what Joe wrote, seems I should have it open, but not sure, the posts are kind of confusing me.  Thanks.

The word is "flue" not "flute." 

Both the outside air control and the damper should be open while a fire is burning. You may close both of them when there's no fire, but you don't have to. If you leave them open, you'll just lose heated air up the flue and get a draft from the combustion air opening.