Training for solar cell installations

3 minutes ago, Les said:

https://inspectorroadshow.com/

I have a friend of a friend that knows a guy in Toledo.  I will get his name and post it. 

Thanks but no need.  I found out that, in Louisiana, solar is regulated and requires the license be attached to a general contractor's or electrician's license, which I don't have and don't plan to pursue.  My license is parish-wide. Upgrading to state license would bring in all sorts of regulatory requirements that my guy doesn't want to pay for.

Thanks guys.

I did a lot of QA installation inspections for a major manufacturer of panels and inverters. They sent me to a school and then all over the Northeast to inspect just-installed systems. ( A few of which I shut down in the interest of safety)

As Tom said, I have an 8-hour course, but I've found that it's almost impossible to teach because most attendees don't have the necessary knowledge about 120/240 V single phase systems to get anything from the course. You're smart, you have an NEC. Train yourself. You'd definitely get enough info to check labeling, system grounding and bonding, wiring methods , and interconnection methods.  The DC side is a bit more esoteric and proprietary. To do solar as a stand alone, you'll need to read instructions. One manufacturer had DC positive grounds for a long time. It makes your head hurt when you come upon it.      

2 hours ago, Chad Fabry said:

I did a lot of QA installation inspections for a major manufacturer of panels and inverters. They sent me to a school and then all over the Northeast to inspect just-installed systems. ( A few of which I shut down in the interest of safety)

As Tom said, I have an 8-hour course, but I've found that it's almost impossible to teach because most attendees don't have the necessary knowledge about 120/240 V single phase systems to get anything from the course. You're smart, you have an NEC. Train yourself. You'd definitely get enough info to check labeling, system grounding and bonding, wiring methods , and interconnection methods.  The DC side is a bit more esoteric and proprietary. To do solar as a stand alone, you'll need to read instructions. One manufacturer had DC positive grounds for a long time. It makes your head hurt when you come upon it.      

Yeah, well, my plan was to learn everything from the book then attend one of the schools because the certification agencies I checked with would not allow me to take the test without having proof of attending an approved school.  I've done things this way since I started High School. Anyway, the solar thing is off the table for now.

Thanks for all the responses.  Five days from now makes me a TIJ member for ten years, as I recall. What an experience its been!

Edited by Marc