joining a professional H I org.

I believe that you should research the different associations/organizations/societies, etc. and determine which of these is the best fit for you. It may be more than one.

I belong to more than one H.I. organization.

Here is an interesting item of note. Most of the organizations I've researched and the ones I belong to are National Non-Profit organizations that also have state level and local level organizations/chapters that are also Non-profit organizations.

In my state of Florida, one of the national organizations has a statewide chapter plus numerous local chapters. In my research, none of these Florida chapters are Non-Profit organizations. In my view, if these H.I. organizations are not Non-Profit then, they are just a business for profit. No problem with that, but I didn't think this was what the different H.I. organizations were all about.

If you’re a business for profit, tell it like it is.

Also, the different states have laws on the requirements for Non-Profits and rights for its members, which vary state to state. If you belong to a H.I. organization that is not Non-Profit, you are just helping the owners increase the bottom line and you may not have any rights at all that are available to members of Non-Profit organizations.

Please correct me if your Florida chapters are Non-Profit. This should be shown in the organization by-laws. I'm sure everyone received a copy of the by-laws, or they're made available on the local website.

I have not researched all the different H.I. organizations so this could apply to more than one H.I. organization/business.

[?]

• 8 months later...
Originally posted by RELOVE

Which org. is best to join? NAHI, ASHI, Or NACHI? And why.

I was trying to make this decision myself. I am leaning towards NAHI to start with. Heres why. In my State of Maryland one of the requirements to qualify for licensing is to complete a coarse from a NAHI approved learning institute. So I went to the NAHI.org site and saw that they listed my school of choice Buildingspecs.com as approved by them. So thats it. My state mentioned NAHI and NAHI mentioned my school. Dont know if thats a good reason or not but it pushed me in that direction. Any good reasons why I should'nt join NAHI?

I don't know of any. I was once a member, before I started TIJ.

I found that most folks there are very professional. The reason that you don't hear much from NAHI is that their members generally prefers not to take part in the constant soap opera and drama that revolves around the competition between ASHI and NACHI. That alone, in my opinion, is a good reason for considering them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

NAHI is a good organization. Mostly nice people and they have a good SOP and COE. I belonged for many years and participated actively. As they grew, I had to made a choice between ASHI and NAHI and chose ASHI. ASHI offers more and better education (my opinion) and prohibits inspectors from performing repair work. Of course I am biased and would encourage you to take your time and really look at both. The two orgs started with the same ideas, just grew apart.

An added benefit for ASHI is they are really the "original" org and have many old farts that know the biz and are quite friendly.

Originally posted by AHI

I trust the word of you two. Thanks for responding and supporting my decision.

I'm agnostic on HI organizations in general, even though I'm a (retired) ASHI member. I can tell you this: All the truly brilliant, ethical, educated HIs I know are ASHI guys.

Which is not to say that ASHI doesn't have its share of HIs who are not so stellar. And I can't rule out the possibility that some non-ASHI guys are whip-smart and dead honest.

WJid="blue">

Mostly nice people and they have a good SOP and COE.

NAHI's SOP has a few flaws that sort of bug me. The "flaws" cater to a specific franchise. Other than that one thing, I like Mallory, and NAHI seems to be entirely on the up and up.

As Walter said, ASHI has been the cauldron in which the best ingredients in home inspection are mixed. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule.

Try to find out what the local chapter meetings for each organization are like in your area. I know that ASHI has a very good chapter in your area. You could not go wrong with ASHI or NAHI as for a national org, but it is on the local level that you get he real benefits.

If you are looking for great educational benefits and there is a local chapter near you I would not rule out NACHI as a great source of information.

My local chapter is so powerful in the Chicago area that we now have our own forum.

The support you get from your brothers is incredible,as others seem to focus on our strong though dis-functional web presence.

Originally posted by AHI

NACHI does have a local chapter in my state. So does NAHI. Heres links to both.

http://md.nachi.org/nachichesapeakechap ... nt136.html

http://www.mdahi.org/

I have several good friends in MAC-ASHI

http://www.mac-ashi.org/

I have just as many good friends in NOVA ASHI. They have a very very good chapter with tons of education and a great new inspector program, it might be a little more in distance from you. http://www.novaashi.com/

Go and visit all of them! You need to find the right mix of folks that you can enjoy being with.