joining a professional H I org.

Relove,

Just asking this question is the beginning of WWIII!

Frankly, I've come to the conclusion that no one else can possibly answer that question for you.

If you spend time with each organization's members, spend time on their message boards, study their requirements and missions and consider your own desires and needs you will know which organization is right for you.

Best wishes!

(I belong to all three afore mentioned associations, which can REALLY be an eye opener and amusing at times. That's why I shuddered at the question. I'm thoroughly shell shocked from all the wicked crossfire. But, it's a necessary evil for the publishing company, which attends shows as a vendor. I can honestly say that each group of guys is markedly different and has its pluses.)

Spend some quality time in each organization (local meetings). Trust your gut. Every organization will want your membership money. Make sure that it is worth the hard earned dollars. Just being a member ? does not increase your bottom line. Little bit like religion-pick what works for you. Its a big investment in time and money. Almost every participant on this board can answer your question. Different answers for different reasons. Good luck![:-banghea

Jack Ahern Needham on the Charles

Bridgton, Maine

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a problem being a member of 2 HI Associations, the one I am a member of at present has a good profile in my province, however I am finding another US based Association has a more active membership, benefits and forum input.

I've seen plenty of Home Inspectors advertising dual membership, however I have also read on forums like this of members being "thrown" out of Associations for this very reason.

I do not really want to get involved with any HI Association turf wars.

Any input would be of help...Cheers

Paulo,

to answer your question, I don't believe any of the organizations actually forbids multiple membership...as long as you don't publicly promote one over the other. You will have to decide if the benefits (educational, marketing, advice, whatever) are worth the price of admission. Ultimately, or down the road a bit, your business will succeed or fail depending on you, as an individual, the service you provide to your clients, and not which flag you decide to wave (or burn). ALL organizations have their good and bad apples and it's unlikely that any would or could corrupt or improve personal ethics.

Originally posted by Paulo

Is there a problem being a member of 2 HI Associations, the one I am a member of at present has a good profile in my province, however I am finding another US based Association has a more active membership, benefits and forum input.

I think it's like churches. Look around and find one or two that you like. Look for a theology that you like and a a congregation that you enjoy being with. My neighbor, a distinguised senior, used to attend services at different church every week. She had friends at each and she got something different out of each. Everyone who ever met her liked her.

I've seen plenty of Home Inspectors advertising dual membership, however I have also read on forums like this of members being "thrown" out of Associations for this very reason.

Down here in the states, it's common for home inspectors to belong to multiple organizations. I don't see why an organization would mind unless you did something to undermine that organization.

I do not really want to get involved with any HI Association turf wars.

Any input would be of help...Cheers

Be nice to the other inspectors and maybe you won't get caught in the crossfire.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

"Here's a good one though; one of the organizations has a statement in their Code of Ethics saying;

1.3 Member Inspectors shall NOT overly scrutinize the property."

I'm not sure which organization has this in their COE (I know which one DOESNT). For anyone who is a member of this group, I would (seriously) like to know why any inspector would be associated with that statement (and not be furious with the organizational 'leadership'). A code that prohibits a good inspection.....? I wonder if the ABA prohibits members from 'overly representing a client in a legal proceding?

Statements like that are detrimental to ALL HI's, affiliated or not. My advice is to find out which org. has that statement in their COE and avoid them like the plague.

Tim

www.rqahomeinspections.com

A.I.I. - "Member Inspectors shall not overly scrutinize the property. The Inspectors opinion shall only be based on their education, experience, and honest convictions."

ISHI, (which appears to be by and for A-Pro franchisees) - "ISHI requires its members to write a Fair & Balanced report by requiring such notations as, positive attributes, discretionary improvements, general comments, etc. to be included in their findings."

If I remember correctly ISHI also forbids recommending any expert for further inspection or evaluation. Gag me. [:-crazy]

No overly scrutinizing the property? My whole business is built on overly scrutinizing the property. Clients love scrutiny. [^]

Brian G.

Scrutin' for Dollars [:-magnify