Vent pipes

Darren

Here's a question for all you guys (and gals) who walk roofs.

When walking a roof do you look down the plumbing vents?

If so, when you see water lying at the bottom of the stack, what do you report?

I had one yesterday that every vent that went straight down I could see a reflection (water); what's a inspector boy to write?

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com

Yes, if they looked like this.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif PlumbSewerStack1_M.jpg

46.72 KB

This is a newly installed roof. If you look carefully, you'll see what appears to be a grey mesh fiber on the left at the neoprene flashing.

Straight from the Handy Man Corner

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif PlumbSewerStack2_M.jpg

56.95 KB

Makes you wonder if the original roof was stripped and the decking inspected.

But that wasn't your question,

you asked..

"If so, when you see water lying at the bottom of the stack, what do you report?"

I'd have to ask you in return if you observed the sewer stack(s)connected to the plumbing vent system and most importantly did you notice any appliances behaving abnormally?

A 1/4" per 1' slope actually isn't very much. Though it's disgusting, if there were solid matter--including tissue--in the lowermost 3" or 4" main sewage line, it could linger around and prevent drainage until more water swishes it away, hence the visible water at the bottoms of the sewer vents. As we all know, and on newer houses especially that are quite large, the drains are often sloped less than 1/4" per 1', but they typically work just fine.

I don't usually look down the vents, but I do look at the vent pipes when I'm in the attic. Normally a lot more of the pipe is visible in there anyway. If they don't look like they drain I write 'em up and recommend making them drain.

Brian G.

Why Do They Call It Standing Water, When It's Really Just Lying There? [:-boggled [:D]

"When walking a roof do you look down the plumbing vents?"

-Yep.

"If so, when you see water lying at the bottom of the stack, what do you report?"

-Never seen liquid, just debris, nests, test balloons and a ball once.

"what's a inspector boy to write?"

-As an inspector man, I would write something like: Water shouldn't be in there, it probably isn't venting effectively and you need to get a plumber to fix it.

"I guess I'm too busy looking through skylights, especially the ones in the bathrooms."

- I would think a large majority of the time I would see stuff I didn't want to see.

Originally posted by Brian G.

I

Brian G.

Why Do They Call It Standing Water, When It's Really Just Lying There? [:-boggled [:D]

-----------------------------

It is very comforting to know there is someone else out that has a mind that thinks like mine. Warped[:-crazy][^].

Paul B.

A little humor is the spice of life that keeps us in touch with reality.

Darren,

As much as I avoid walking on roofs, You may find this story interesting....... I was contracted by an attorney (one I have worked with on a regular basis) to do an inspection of a 2 story condo of about 20 units. Without going into a lot of details, the buildings' maintenance crew was lacking in their duties and the resident who I was dispatched to perform the inspection keep having sewer back-ups about every 3-4 months.

Before the attorney could take legal action against the association or the city, he wanted to know why this might be happening. To make a long story short, I did find a roof access that had a ladder and no lock to seal the attic scuttle. As I made my way across the flat roof, I looked down all the vents and saw nothing unusual until I came upon the vent serving the two residents that were regularly flooding (sewer backup through shower, toilet, and bathroom sinks)and found the problem.

Evidently, kids were getting on top of the roof, and throwing toys and other items down the vents and plugging them up. As you could imagine, the digital camera photos on the report were helpful for the attorney, as well as the plumbers who had been out there twice, and just never thought about the vents being plugged.

So, yes Darren, since then (when I do feel safe about getting on a roof) I always look down the vents!!!