The most durable asphalt shingles on the planet!

I see these shingles a few times a year. They have to be the most durable asphalt shingles ever made. This roof is about 35 years old +/-

I'm posting these pictures because I've always wished to know more about this product. Who made it? Why they stopped making it?

So, anyone familiar with it, please enlighten me.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100_0195.jpg

382.06 KB

Chad is right, jeeze that hurts to say.

Around Michigan they are common, if in fact the photo is just standard t locks. But I think those are not standard t's. Common t's would go around 285lb per square and yours look heavier. These look like the old johns manville asphalt slate, but are too new for that. Around here we have common t's, diamond lock, interlock, propriatary sherif-goslin modified locking and a few locking strip type.

Truth be told I have never seen that exact shingle.

Here they are almost a status symbol, because of the extra cost. On real estate line-sides they often will promote the fact it has a sherif-goslin or other company roof. Maybe 20% of the market. Very easy to install, but a pisser to flash and they do last a long time. I have seen many 40yrs plus and some old JM type that are 80+. I think interlock are much better than t's and quicker to install.

We called them (me & the guys that used to install them) "farmer shingles", because farmers always wanted them.

Why? Because before self sealing shingles, they were the only type that wouldn't blow off the barn. Well, at least they had/have increased resistance to being blown off.

Interlocking asphalt shingles are popular in high wind areas, so I don't see more than 1 or 2 a year. I did see one that was documented to have been installed in 1929. (I think I remember the installers name was K. Mitenbuler) A veteran roofer I know calls them "cereal box top" shingles.

2006426171040_interlock.jpg

Hi,

I see those quite a bit on some of the older bungalows around town. I've talked to a couple of roofers about them and they both said that they haven't been commonly used around here for about the last 35 years, which corresponds to what I'm seeing on homes. The ones I've seen were unusually thick and durable though and in amazingly good condition when one takes into consideration that they were at least a quarter of a century old.

I lived in Colorado Springs for a year before moving to Seattle in the mid-90's. This type of shingle was on about 80 - 90% of the houses there - or at least so it seemed. I have no idea though whether those were as thick and durable as the ones I'm finding on older homes here.

My Roofers Handbook, originally written by W.E. Johnson in 1938 and reprinted by Craftsman Book Company devotes a couple of dozen pages to installing and flashing them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I've seen 'em on very steep pitched gable roofs (farmhouse roofs), where I know for sure they are at least 50 years old. Hard as a piece of slate, but still shedding water.

What were they, around 285#, or 320#? Darned thick & heavy stuff, that's for sure.

Sherif-Goslin is a midwest roofing company. Oldest in the US, great guarantee for 25yrs.

The photo is my favorite shingle from the past, only seen it one time on a house, Sorry for photo quality, but books are hard to photograph for me.

Most durable shingle I know is the 2.2lb asphalt and asbestos pressed tiles. Never seen one worn out.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif MVC-015S.JPG

37.41 KB

• 6 years later...