General Consensus

mgbinspect

Just wondering how the majority handle this one?

There are a couple of nice flood lights in the front yard fed by the proper cable for burial. The wire is in conduit everywhere it's supposed to be. The conduit runs up and along the interior of the garage wall to the outlet (on GFCI) The wire is then connected and properly clamped to a heavy duty 3-prong plug and plugged into the garage outlet.

Where do you guys go with this one?

I always call for it to be hardwired, but am I being a tad bit picky in this case?

I suppose what I wrestle with in an instance like this is: Is this merely a "code" issue or is there a real danger here?

I wouldn't get up-tight about it as long as it's plugged into a GFCI receptacle. Is there a switch in the system or is the plug the switch?

Having said that, my contract disclaims any landscape lighting. The disclaimer's really intended for low voltage stuff, but I'd invoke it if something came up.

Hmm... That's a good question! I can't imagine there's a switch on the garage outlet.

Yeah, I was tempted to simply document the condition in the body of the report and not put it in the summary as something needing to be addressed.

The house was about 7 years old and immaculate.

Thanks for the input, Paul.

BTW, I've started running (along with the mountain biking and kayaking). I'm toying with the idea of doing some city 5 K + runs. We'll see... My knees may nix the project. [:-bigeyes

Originally posted by mgbinspect

Just wondering how the majority handle this one?

There are a couple of nice flood lights in the front yard fed by the proper cable for burial. The wire is in conduit everywhere it's supposed to be. The conduit runs up and along the interior of the garage wall to the outlet (on GFCI) The wire is then connected and properly clamped to a heavy duty 3-prong plug and plugged into the garage outlet.

As Chad pointed out, the cable probably isn't "properly" clamped to a heavy duty plug. Those plugs are rated for use with cords, not cables.

Where do you guys go with this one?

I always call for it to be hardwired, but am I being a tad bit picky in this case?

Not in my opinion. You're pointing out something that's wrong and recommending a fix. What's the downside of that?

I suppose what I wrestle with in an instance like this is: Is this merely a "code" issue or is there a real danger here?

There's little danger but it could go pop-fizz if one of the solid conductors in that cable were to break from being yanked back & forth. I suppose it depends on how often it's plugged & unplugged and with how much force and at what angle.

That said, in 1981 I made up a 4-gang box out of a square handy box and about 6 feet of #12 romex with a heavy-duty plug on the end. It got very hard use for about three years after that and it's gotten lighter use since then. The solid copper wires have broken twice - once at the clamp on the box and once at the plug. If I'd used SO cord, it'd probably have done better, but I've been happy with it the way it is. (The nicest thing about it is that no one ever tried to steal it.)

The thing is, I don't want to hold my customers to my own low standards. I'd rather point out the problem to them, however slight, and let them decide whether or not to follow my advice.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

When I originally posted my reply,I questioned whether the cable was stranded or solid, for exactly the same reasons that Jim pointed out.I then edited it because I saw so many people hadn't objected to the "plug"... I now feel like a cow, following the herd... Last time I do that.

I also questioned whether the cable was continuously enclosed in conduit from one pull to another, for overheating reasons.

mooooooooo Sounded like solid copper conductors. Yes? I would have brought it up but made sure I also said it was 'very easy to resolve'. The 'why' of it is that solid conductors are not supposed to be moved. If moved often, it could possibly break. Simply hard-wire it to eliminate that concern. If you start down-playing stuff to the point of not mentioning it, it can lead to other errors in other areas.