Flex duct for vent

rlskfoster

New home today has a Hotpoint Microwave/Range Hood Combo.

The transition piece was the silver metallic material you see on some dryer transitions. It almost feels like cloth and very flexible. Manufacturers instructions sitting on counter did not specifically identify a type of material to use as a transition, but, it has a picture of a 90 degree elbow. What is the general consensus for this material to be used in this application.I have seen the metal flex duct used for a short transition and found literature to support its use for short transitions, but I am unsure about this.

Here is the picture:

Buster

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Dearinger 002.jpg

44.01 KB

What would grease do in that stuff? I'm not saying it's bad and I'm not saying it's good; I'm just curious.

Personally, if I was going cheapo & using flex, I'd get the semi rigid dryer duct (you know, the expando stuff....) Actually, I can think of about a dozen better materials & methods for that little elbow; the installer is a maroon.

SECTION M1502

RANGE HOODS

M1502.1 General.

Range hoods shall discharge to the outdoors through a single–wall duct. The duct serving the hood shall have a smooth interior surface, shall be air tight and shall be equipped with a backdraft damper. Ducts serving range hoods shall not terminate in an attic or crawl space or areas inside the building.

Exception:

Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.

M1502.2 Duct material.

Single–wall ducts serving range hoods shall be constructed of galvanized steel, stainless steel or copper.

Thanks to Mike L. for pointing us to M1502. The smooth interior of a steel or copper duct makes sense to me.

Some families' ethnic culinary practices can load the duct with grease in a short amount of time. All that grease is directly above where people frequently leave things that can easily ignite over an open flame.

Sometimes I need to remind my wife that the smoke detector is not the timer that lets you know it's done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...