Deep P -traps

Chris Bernhardt

Does any one write up for correction P-traps with water seals greater 4" deep? The plumbing code here requires a minimum 2" depth and a max depth of 4". Has anyone every heard of this being a functional problem? I have seen them as deep as 10" on old homes. Normaly I just find the trap installed backwards.

Thanks, Chris

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Does any one write up for correction P-traps with water seals greater 4" deep? The plumbing code here requires a minimum 2" depth and a max depth of 4". Has anyone every heard of this being a functional problem? I have seen them as deep as 10" on old homes. Normaly I just find the trap installed backwards.

Thanks, Chris

Sure. I do anyway.

Though when I find this, there's usually at least one other major screw-up in the way that the trap is plumbed.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 153-5348_IMG.JPG

78.64 KB

This is the king of all homemade traps. I didn't even recognize the "U" shape till I asked the owner if he'd ever noticed a funky odor emanating from the tub drain 'cause there wasn't a trap on it. He said, "Of course there is," and took me into the basement to proudly display the reeeaaally big "U"-shaped trap he'd created out of PVC. And yes, the drain is traveling straight up.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC04794a.jpg

147.56 KB

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Jim,

Concerning the flex fitting used on the outlet of that trap, My understanding is that such flex fittings can be used in the tail piece side before the trap inlet. Or are they not approved at all?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that HUD did not approve of thier use?

They're not permitted anywhere in the drainage or venting system.

Oregon Residential Specialty Code P3001.1 Drainage piping shall be cast iron, galvanized steel, galvanized wrought iron, lead, copper, brass, schedule 40 PVC DWV, extra strength vitrified clay pipe, or other approved matereials having a smooth and uniform bore . . .

Section 3001.2 Drainage fittings shall be of cast iron, malleable iron, lead, brass, copper, ABS, PVC, vitrified clay or other approved materials having a smooth interior waterway of the same diameter as the piping served . . .

Doesn't matter if it's considered drainage piping or a drainage fitting, it doesn't have a smooth interior waterway. The section on vent piping has the same language. If you see a corrugated drain pipe or fitting in a house, it's wrong.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Bain

This is the king of all homemade traps. I didn't even recognize the "U" shape till I asked the owner if he'd ever noticed a funky odor emanating from the tub drain 'cause there wasn't a trap on it. He said, "Of course there is," and took me into the basement to proudly display the reeeaaally big "U"-shaped trap he'd created out of PVC. And yes, the drain is traveling straight up.

Whoa! What a mess. Did you notice that only one of the ells he used is a drain ell? The other three are vent ells.

Also, that's got to be the most creative use of a sanitary tee I've ever seen.

Also, I don't know about your area, but around here PVC is prohibited on distribution (supply) piping.

This guy was a walking disaster.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 6 months later...

In the NJ UCC under "Products violating the code:

3. iii- Flexible traps & tailpieces.

Also, this goes back about a year or so:

Section 10.15.1 is amended to add the phase 'Outlet temperature of hot water from lavatory faucets in public facility restrooms (such as those in service stations, airports, train & bus terminals and convention halls) shall be provided with a means to limit the maximum temperature to 110 degrees F as required in ASHRAE 90.1-1999"

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com