Furnace Comparison

MMustola

It all depends on the installer, that can greatly effect the operation of a good unit.

Goodman is low cost in part because they dont advertise while at the same time they have out sold every other brand in recent years.

One problem with Goodman is that they stay behind the rest on new designs. The models they currently sell are pretty close to all other brands.

As for Armstrong, I had an Armstrong gas pack that made it 26 years. It was still working great, I changed it out to save on gas bills.

Does that say that Armstrong still builds a good system? Who knows, they all have a bad run of design flaws here and there.

I always tell people to buy a brand that has a parts supplier in town because they all fail at some point. Nothing stops a Trane but UPS if you know what I mean.

Armstrong appears to be the builders' furnace of choice in this area and appears to have been the first choice for several years. I can't say I see a lot of problems with them, 'cause I don't. On the other hand, this isn't a climate where a furnace gets a good test. If I was back in MN I'm not sure I'd be saying the same thing. Trane and Carrier were far more common there.

The package heat pump I recently put on my old mo-bile home is a Rheem. The place I got it from had Rheem and Goodman. They liked Goodman and couldn't believe that I, a Goodman, wanted the Rheem instead. I don't know that much about Rheem, but I've read plenty about Goodman's being cheaply built.

The first bill for a full month was down more than half from the same month last year, and I'm told it's doing a better job to boot. [:-angel]

Brian G.

Change Can Be Good [:-thumbu]

In regard to cabinet design and construction the Rheem and Goodman are actually very close.

The Rheem may have more updated components,however; if the Goodman has a scroll, it's probably a pretty good unit.

The same goes with Goodman furnaces, they were the last to get rid of the clam shell heat exchanger. Therefore they had a lot of cracked exchangers while others did not. I think they have finally gone with a tubular design.

You can save a buck or 2 with Goodman and get pretty good service out of it. But you've gotta do your home work and know what your getting as far as the design.

Originally posted by K Vander Warf

The Rheem may have more updated components,however; if the Goodman has a scroll, it's probably a pretty good unit.

Actually that was a factor, but it was the Rheem that had the scroll.

Hell I just hope it matches the one I replaced for durability. 36 years is pretty damn good.

Brian G.

Scrollin', Scrollin', Scrollin,

Keep That Heat a-Rollin', Rawhhhiiiiiddde! [:-cowboy]