Bumps on shingles

Tim H

This is a new one to me. Asphalt shingles, 13 yr old roof. There are small (1/4"-3/8")bumps on some of the shingles. They are primarily on the darker colored shingles (which has me thinking manufacturers defect), and occur on all sides of the roof. I do not see any damage or break through on the back side of the shingle. There are micro cracks on the surface of the bumps. Obviously not a good condition, but I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and could comment on the cause. Thanks - Tim

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif PB230104.JPG

64.05 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif PB230105.JPG

75.38 KB

...I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and could comment on the cause.

They're asphalt blisters (don't scratch, it'll spread and get infected).

Air bubbles were present in the asphalt that was applied to the mat. When exposed to the sun on a roof, the tiny bubbles expand into the blisters. My personal experience is that it doesn't significantly reduce the life of the roof, unless traffic or other abrasion has punctured the blisters.

Originally posted by Terence McCann

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

lotion.jpg

For mild to sever cases of roof itch.

LOL. A little too much time on your hands on a Saturday, Terry?

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

...I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and could comment on the cause.

Air bubbles were present in the asphalt that was applied to the mat. When exposed to the sun on a roof, the tiny bubbles expand into the blisters. My personal experience is that it doesn't significantly reduce the life of the roof, unless traffic or other abrasion has punctured the blisters.

I agree with Bill. They're known as rash blisters and they're generally harmless. Even if they shear off from foot traffic, I haven't ever seen them cause a problem. My sense is that the shingles will fail from something else long before the blisters come into play.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Download Attachment: icon_word.gif RashBlisters.doc

39.37 KB