The First Stirrings of Football

Brian G

Sunday the first preseason NFL game takes place at the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio, where my beloved Saints take on the Pittsburg Steelers. Unfortunately I won't get to see it because it's only on the NFL Network, which I don't have. Anybody got a DVR and a blank disc? [:-weepn]

I've held it as long as I can though, so I gotta tell you I'm more excited than I've ever been about the upcoming season. My boys have had a quiet, but very productive, off-season, and training camp is running like a Swiss watch. All of the weaknesses from last year have been addressed with a combination of veteran free agents and shrewd draft picks. I am dying to see some Saints football.

Which brings the GP to his first prediction of the new NFL season, although it is a conditional one.

If Drew Brees doesn't suffer a serious injury, the Saints will play in the Super Bowl.

I think they can weather injuries anywhere else; not to Brees. Please note that while the GP has always loved his Saints, he has NEVER picked them to make the Super Bowl before.

Never. Ever.

This week I booked tickets to see them take on the Jacksonville Jaguars on November 4th in New Orleans. I gotta make a live game this year. If they're hosting a play-off game during Inspection World the town will be a-rockin', and I won't be at the big dinner Saturday night. [:-party]

May the Football Gods smile on my brave lads. [:-angel]

Brian G.

Waiting..................... [:-footbal

Originally posted by kurt

Saints-Bears matchup ? [:-idea]

Sunday December 30. In Chicago!

That's outside in Chicago winter weather, on real frozen ground. Not inside with all the comforts of a roof, and a carpet.

Stirring the rivalry pot a little early!!

Frank

Originally posted by kurt

Saints-Bears matchup ?

I think the Bears' season hinges mostly on what happens with Grossman this year. Better? Worse? The same? The starting running back is gone, Tank is out, Briggs isn't happy, and nobody with a collective brain will punt to the dangerous return guy this year. I think Rex has to get consistant for the Bears to see the NFC Championship game again, but they do still have the weak division on their side.

Minnesota is only slightly improved, and Green Bay is treading water. Detroit isn't going anywhere as long as Millen is steering the ship (winning in the NFL is from the top down, not the bottom up).

The best NFC battles should be in the East and West. Can the 49er's or Rams pluck the Seahawks? Who comes out of the Eagles/Cowboys/Giants pile-up?

Brian G.

Bring It On, Pleeeease [:-jump2]

Frank, I'll bet our coach won't make the same mistake as last time. No outdoor practices before going to play at Soldier Field in January? Wrong. Hopefully that'll be a very meaningful game when it gets here. Could be for home field throughout the playoffs. [:-wiltel]

Phillip, we don't have a Hooters here. [:-indiffe And there's no way I can disappear for 3 - 4 hours to a sports bar. [:-crazy][-crzwom]

Thanks anyway. It's only a pre-season game and our coach couldn't care less about winning those, but I wanted to see the rookies play some.

Bob, I'm sure your boys will be better off in the long run, but I doubt if Snooty Joey is the answer. Too bad they let Schwab get away...or is it? We'll see. If the Feds get Vick, and they probably will, Atlanta will need to go #1 QB shopping in the off-season. What's your preference; a high-dollar free agent or a top draft pick?

Brian G.

Ain'ts No More [:-paperba

Originally posted by Brian G.

Phillip, we don't have a Hooters here. [:-indiffe And there's no way I can disappear for 3 - 4 hours to a sports bar. [:-crazy][-crzwom]

Brian G.

Oh sweetheart just a reminder I have an inspection @1pm next Sunday probably take me 3 to 4 hours and when I get back will do dinner.

Now that's being a man.

Captain

Desmond Hester is now a wide receiver,so watch out.Briggs is not happy with the 7 million he is making this year and will take it out on the opposing quarterbacks.Mike Brown is healthy.Tommy Harris is back feeling good.We have a great looking tight end in Greg Olsen.The Defense is looking so good we released Chris Harris due to numbers.

Saints should look good till they play the Bears.

Bob, I'm sure your boys will be better off in the long run, but I doubt if Snooty Joey is the answer. Too bad they let Schwab get away...or is it? We'll see. If the Feds get Vick, and they probably will, Atlanta will need to go #1 QB shopping in the off-season. What's your preference; a high-dollar free agent or a top draft pick?

Brian G.

I think the league's better off without Mr. V.

The owner's spent years trying to build a team (and recently a coaching staff) around Vick.

I'm thinking that any free agent who was willing to QB for Atlanta wouldn't be worth the money. Spend it on an O-line who can block for a pocket passer and move through the draft.

But --- ya think Mr. Brees might be available? I've always liked his style of play.....

Captain,

Yeah, I hear you. If she found out she'd mostly be mad that I saw it and she didn't. I'm a lucky guy. [:D]

Bob E.,

How come we're playing at your place again, in the pit of winter again? Who's making the schedule's out, Dick Butkis? [:-crazy]

If only we could pair your defense with our offense. Cha-ching!

Any predictions about Rex's performance this time around? I'll bet Luvie is praying he won't have to defend ole' Rexie all year long, again.

Bob W.,

I agree with everything you said, except that last bit...

But --- ya think Mr. Brees might be available?

Errr....no. I think we'll be nailing him to the ground for a while yet. [:-angel]

That had to be last off-season's runaway winner for boneheaded move; Miami going after Culpepper instead of Brees. This just in; running QB's don't win Super Bowls. Scramblers yes, runners no. Get a passer with a brain and protect him.

Where are those Patriot fans? I gotta ask somebody about the Moss move. Jack, you out there? Jimmy?

I see we lost 20 - 7. Oh well, I think our coach will absolutely love that. It puts a hammer in his hand.

Brian G.

Crack That Whip [:-cowboy]

[navy]

Any predictions about Rex's performance this time around? I'll bet Luvie is praying he won't have to defend ole' Rexie all year long, again.

Sexy Rexie - The people I have talked to (self-proclaimed "Experts" or "Gods") really haven't formed a definite opinion yet. I respect Lovie Smith's "stick to your guns" attitude he had last year, and I hope Rex has matured or gotten all 1st real year jitters out of his system.

I can't wait to see how they utilize the Tight End Arsenal they have now. Plus the WR package with the addition of Hester, Rex has many targets to choose from. So if he can keep his head out his ***, and in the game, it might be a very excitable season (Again)

Originally posted by chicago

Desmond Hester is now a wide receiver,so watch out.

It's Devin Hester. (Come On Bob) Desmond I think is a Howard.

Yea, where are the Pats fans. Are they really going to change the name of the team to - The Brady - Moss Show?

Pats are loaded up this year. Picking up Adalius Thomas was the best move they made this off season. Randy Moss & Donte Stallworth will give Brady the wide receivers he has never had before. I'm not worried about Moss I think he feels he has something to prove and Belichick won't put up with any crap. The way his contract is written they can cut him very easy if needed. Junior Seau looks good in practice so far. I just hope they get Asante Sameul into camp and Maroney is fully recovered from his leg injury. If all goes well I see Pats in Arizona in 2008 beating any NFC team.

John C

John and Jack a lot of us in the rest of the country were glad to see the pats finally take a break.

As far as the celtics go they may now be respectable though the bench is going to have some say in that.

Remember Denver got Iverson to no avail.

Frankly we in chicago thought he was coming back home,but the Bulls were not going to get rid of all the young talent to get him.

Frank...opps

Brian ..Your offense was bettor but we were not to shabby ranked number five and yes the Grossman watch is on but he is still the best we have had since Kramer.

Going by how it went last season, combined with the offseason moves, I'd have to say the Pats are the odds-on favorite. I'm not a Moss fan and I'm not buying a "Good Moss" resurrection until I see it, but Dante Stallworth is a superb receiver (he broke in with the Saints; I know him well). Thomas will help significantly, and they generally spent money like never before to improve the overall talent level. The Charger game was a wake-up call, even though they won it.

I see the Chargers at #2 in the AFC, with little real change since last year. Rivers is a bit of a question there, although he did well until that whole-team meltdown against the Pats.

The defending champion Colts had a mediocre off-season in my opinion, compounded by the retirement of Manning's backside protector and the recent injury-loss of defensive lineman "Booger" McFarlane. They may overcome, but it won't be easy at all.

Whoever comes in from the AFC will certainly be favored over whoever makes it from the NFC, and rightfully so. But it's still just one game, for all the marbles; anything can happen in one game.

I think my boys will lose 4 - 6 games, while the heavily revamped secondary struggles to get it together (which they eventually will). But no question, talent-wise we're much better off there than last year, when we were a game away from the big one. Gotta try to get home field this time. It doesn't hurt that:

A. A dome team has now won a Super Bowl; the jinx is dead. And...

B. In the history of the NFL, no team has ever won the Hall of Fame game and gone on to win a championship. By losing to the Steelers we kept the dream alive (clever fellows). [;)]

The Saints & the Bills play Friday night on CBS. Morphine for my pain. [:P]

Brian G.

I Need My Fix, Dammit! [:-weepn]