Hey, the water heater is leaking!!

allspec33351

As I asked my seller a few questions he tells me the water heater is not working. As I pass the water heater I test the gate valve and it's closed. I turn on the kitchen faucet and no hot water, actually no water coming from the hot side.

I do not test the dishwasher. I go to the washing machine and start a wash, now I always start at hot water then change to warm then cool, then back to warm. I realize that it's not working on hot because there is no hot water duh. I turn it to cool and go about my inspecting duties.

I look down and I see the dreaded footmarks, that usually means a leak.

The water heater is leaking internally and coming out around the bottom drain.

Can someone explain that to me,please? This is 90 minutes into inspection and the water heater starts leaking very soon after the washing machine starts. WH and washer same level same room.

Captain

Originally posted by allspec33351

As I asked my seller a few questions he tells me the water heater is not working. As I pass the water heater I test the gate valve and it's closed. I turn on the kitchen faucet and no hot water, actually no water coming from the hot side.

I do not test the dishwasher. I go to the washing machine and start a wash, now I always start at hot water then change to warm then cool, then back to warm. I realize that it's not working on hot because there is no hot water duh. I turn it to cool and go about my inspecting duties.

I look down and I see the dreaded footmarks, that usually means a leak.

The water heater is leaking internally and coming out around the bottom drain.

Can someone explain that to me,please? This is 90 minutes into inspection and the water heater starts leaking very soon after the washing machine starts. WH and washer same level same room.

Captain

Vibration?

Why was the water heater's gate valve closed?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Here is one possible explanation;

The water had leaked previously so its supply was turned off and its tank drained to stop the leaking. You come alone and attempt to operate appliances that use hot water and other faucets. By doing so you release a vacuum that was holding water in the lines up stream from the water heater. The water in the lines backflows or siphons back into the water heater and it begins to leak again.

Another possibility;

You say you tested the gate valve. I'm not clear if you opened it a little bit or just torqued on it to see if it was closed. If it was opened a little bit, maybe the valve didn't close all the way. Gate valves have a reputation of doing that, especially older gate valves.

Or;

Depending on the washer, it might have back fed the cold through the hot supply line somehow, even though it was on cold. (Maybe it got stuck on warm for some reason????)

The seller closed the gate valve. There was no vibration. I did not open gate just made sure it was turn off.

I opened a number of valves, no hot water through any faucets.

The water heater started to leak pretty soon after I turn on the washer. Before a drain cycle. And a mixing valve should not send water back into the system that's cross contamination.

And it was a lot of water leaking.

I think I know what happened now but let's see what else we can come up with.

Captain

Water can flow through the mixing valve or through a common handle kitchen or shower fixture. That is not cross connection, hot and cold are supposed to mix, both are potable water. Lots of funky things can happen when the hot is off and you start opening valves.

Bottom line is you either allowed air or water into the hot water piping system which allowed water to drain out of the tank.

Jim