NFL 2007

Brian G

Well, I've suffered through the last boring Sunday of golf and the 147th baseball games of the season. It's been a long time coming, but tomorrow night the NFL kicks off the football season in style with the Saints at the Colts. It oughta be doozy.

Sports Illustrated has the Saints beating the Chargers to win the SuperBowl, but Smith & Street's has the Saints losing to the Patriots in the big one. Is hell freezing over? Experts are picking the Saints to get there! Frankly it makes me a little nervous, but it beats being expected to bring up the rear.

One idiot, Chris Collinsworth, has my boys losing the division to the Panthers. Hah! I should note that same fabulous prognisticator had the Panthers winning the Super Bowl at the start of last season (8 - 8 in the end). I think Tampa Bay might pass them for the #2 spot in the NFC South, leaving Carolina to fight for third with Atlanta.

The Colts lost 9 starters (and several back-ups) in the off season, as free-agent players cashed in thier Super Bowl status elsewhere, but Peyton Manning and most of the offensive weapons are still in place. Defense...not so much. Whichever team's defense can hamper (not stop) the other's offense the most will win. I like our chances.

I'm gonna tighten my season prediction to a nice, even 12 - 4 mark. If Drew Brees gets hurt, forget I said anything.

Who's making the schedules out these days? We get the Colts in the first game and the Bears in the last game, both away. Gee...thanks.

Brian G.

At Last, At Long Last [:-footbal[:-jump][:-jump][:-jump]

Ouch. That got ugly in the second half. The Colts looked like mid-season, the Saints looked like first game. Oh well; pet the dog, get some sleep, go back to work. We'll be fine.

I saw where the Bears and Chargers play this weekend. I hope that's a feature game. [:-party]

Brian G.

Bruised But Not Broken [^]

Originally posted by Bob White

Looks like Mr. Bush forgot how to run upfield. First game jitters?

He ran like that for about half of last season. He got most of his touchdowns late in the year, when he started adapting to the NFL game. He'll come around.

The Colts did a great job of staying in front of him, but our coach is a little too taken with using Reggie sometimes. Deuce McAllister is our best running back.

Games like that make me fear the Saints turning into the Rams...too much finesse, not enough physical.

Brian G.

Football Is Physical [:-fight][:-footbal

Somebody wake me up, I'm having a terrible nightmare! In it the Saints have caught a bad case of Rams disease and can't get a win. But alas, tis' no mere trick of the subconcious, it's real. Eh....it's only football.

The Bears redefined the ugly win again. If Devin Hester gets hurt the whole season could go down the toilet.

It's gonna be a long year if things don't change.

Brian G.

Hang In There Baby [:-crazy]

And bad goes to worse...

Power running back Duece McAllister is out for the year with a torn ACL, and one starting corner is down for 4 - 6 weeks with a broken forearm. I can't say anything good about that, but it will be interesting, and telling, to see how they respond to the compound adversity. Next Sunday is a bye week, so they have two full weeks to regroup.

I'm hoping to see some of the #3 back, an undrafted rookie named Pierre Thomas. The kid made things happen every time he touched the ball in camp and pre-season. Scrappy, high-energy, and unintimidated...sent him in coach!

Brian G.

Spark Plugs Needed [:-thumbu]

• 3 weeks later...

Alright Brian G. Sunday Night under the lights in Seattle, the whole nation will be watching. What will your beloved Saint do? They're due for a win.

Bears in Seattle on a Sunday night game in Nov. Maybe your guys could give Hasselbeck a season ending injury, or something.

Frank

Hard to believe how the Saints and Bears have both started out.

Now comes Dallas with T.O suddenly a factor again.

I like what number 54 Brian Urlacher said about Brett Favre the other day.

He called him an older Tony Romo.

Vinny Testaverde is 43 and getting ready to start for N.C this sunday.

Last time I recall an old man playing quarterback was Vince Evans for I think the raiders.He was about that age.

Well,

Broadway Joe or any of those other football heroes would never have gotten their Super Bowl rings without the help of their team mates, right?

Well, Lance Armstrong would never have won a single Tour de France without the help of the other bike riders on his squad that let him draft in their slip stream year after year after year, mile, after mile, after mile, and forced the other teams to maintain a blistering pace while he cruised along using far less energy than anyone else in the pelloton.

Likewise, Bobby Allison or one of the Andretti's would never have won a single race if not for the speed and dependability of their pit crews. There are all kinds of team sports, not just football, baseball or basketball.

But don't let me keep this thread drift going - I was just messing a little bit with Brian, because I know he's a dyed-in-the-wool football maniac. Every year when he starts his prognostications, I start talking about cricket fighting. He probably doesn't understand bike racing much more than I understand football. Do you know, I've never passed a football. I'm not even sure I'd know how.

Sorry for the thread drift, Brian, I now return you to your regularly scheduled prognostifyin'

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

OK Mike, not to drift this thread even more, but; I can't wait for the day when a NASCAR or IRL driver tests positive for steroids, or human growth hormones.

Just along the same lines as Bob E. is saying: It's not a true sport until Balco Labs exposes some of it's participant.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon my absence. Business finally died after a long, strong summer, so I took a break from the entire inspecting universe. The phone is ringing again, so I'm back in the saddle.

Needless to say, I'm more than pleased that my boys are finally turning the ship around. We have a lot of mediocre to lousy teams left on the schedule from here, so hope is still alive. I said they would go 12 - 4, so they just need to win out from here to prove me right and win the division. [:D]

I'm also happy to note that the aforementioned rookie, Pierre Thomas, has two touchdowns in two winning games, with hardly any opportunities. He tore off a 24 yard TD run against Atlanta Sunday, and the coach says he'll be seeing the ball more. You Bears fans should recognize that name. He's a Chicago kid who played at Illinois the last three years (#4 on the all-time rushing list there).

As for cricket fighting...I couldn't watch that. Too brutal. [:-dev3]

Cycling is only a team sport when they make it into one (like golf). At it's heart it's an individual pursuit (IMHO).

Brian G.

Back in Blue [:-mohawk]

Originally posted by Brian G

Cycling is only a team sport when they make it into one (like golf). At it's heart it's an individual pursuit (IMHO).

Brian G.

Back in Blue[:-mohawk]

If Lance Armstrong had believed that, he'd be a domestique today and would be wondering why his team mates wouldn't give him a chance to strut his stuff(IMHO], but I'll leave you to your football discussion and stop messin' with ya. [;)]

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by chicago

When is Thomas available for free agency....

Hopefully not for a long time. [^]

....as Cedric Benson on the bears is to brutal for words.No desire at all.

Yeah, he's been a major bust. He runs scared. Letting Jones go was a bad, bad move.

Brian G.

Benson Can't Keep Up With the Jones [:-dev3]