When is a crack too much crack.

Phillip

With just this photo, I'd guess it is not a structural issue. Look at the pattern of the crack and size of mortar joint.

Cause and effect issues are an easy trap for an inspector to get caught in.

When I get as much time as Mike O, I am going to start a topic about how much inspectors are "supposed" to know.

The house is 47 years old and the bricks are setting on the footing the blocks in the crawlspace is.

I posted the photo to get comments like Les's to show some of the newer inspector that a crack like this does not mean you need a structural engineer to look at this.

In most of the schools around today tells the newbies to recommend a engineer.

Hi,

I've seen them separate like that when it had nothing to do with settling and everything to do with the framing shrinking behind the veneer. By the way, that soldier's row under the window look awfully flat and that can sometimes be a tipoff that the framing has shrunken behind the veneer.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Spanning off from the corners of doors and windows is more common for cracking. Each case can be different but the location of the crack can play a role in how severely it should be judged.

The cracks in the pictures fall into the more common ones based on their location. Taking that fact alone into consideration should prompt an inspector to reduce the criticism. Again every case is different and I only intend to make a general statement in this case.

Man, some of you guys are harsh. I think we should at least give the operator in charge of the, uhhhh, wide load some credit for placing the load over a proper structural member which appropriately transfers the load to good ol' Mother Earth.

And for the record, I saw no crack. It seems to be covered by a black form of camouflage.

I've seen houses with one or two cracks like that, and I've seen others with cracks like the first one at almost every window and door opening, and at corners. It gets to be a judgement call somewhere in there. At one end of the spectrum I don't say much, at the other I call for a structural engineer.

As far as that other crack....I gotta start eating before I come on this forum. [:-yuck][:-sour][:-blindfo

Brian G.

Pity the Poor Bench [:-weepn]