Everybody has a favorite font. Mine vary by the type of thing I'm writing.

For reports, you probably want to stick to something with serifs, but I occasionally ignore that (e.g., my PC build article). I haven't found a script font that I really like.

I like the technical font for technical instruction. Some fonts look rather architectural and that can be cool.

Just read your own reports in various fonts and pick the one you think presents you most professionally.

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Can't really go wrong with Times New Roman for body text, and Arial for headlines.

WJ

The rule of thumb that I learned and that I try to follow is:

Serif (with feet) font for text. The feet at the bottom of each letter form a line that is easy and comfortable for the eye to follow as the text is being read.

Sans Serif (without feet) for headlines. They are bold, stand out, and cause the eye to fix on them. If you use them in text they slow the reader down and make him work harder to get the message.

WJ gave examples of each of those types of fonts in his post. Within those two categories, I just experiment until I find something that I think looks good. I want my clients to be confident that they are working with a professional, so I go mainstream in my choices and don't get fancy.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Do you have a favorite font for your reports?

I'm a Garamond man myself.

Which fonts do you think are the best for report writing?

I think it's hard to beat Times New Roman & Garamond. You don't want a font that draws attention away from the report.

- Jim Katen

Franklin Gothic walked into a bar.

The bartender said, "Sorry, we don't serve your type."

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

I try to match the font to the most common printer's typeface used during the period that the building was built. For example, text in a report for an early 18th century farm would appear thusly:

20071116152427_oldfont.gif

I think Bill should get bonus points for using both of the oft neglected (but rich in heritage) words "strumpet" and "vixen" in such a short post.

Originally posted by AHI in AR

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

I try to match the font to the most common printer's typeface used during the period that the building was built. For example, text in a report for an early 18th century farm would appear thusly:

20071116152427_oldfont.gif

I think Bill should get bonus points for using both of the oft neglected (but rich in heritage) words "strumpet" and "vixen" in such a short post.

Yes, but he really shouldn't refer to realtors that way.