Home Shows

Hi,

Today is the last day of the Seattle Home Show - Part 1. I'm heading down there shortly to get my fill of folklore and see what kind of specials I'll be able to pick up as vendors try to unload what they've got left so that they don't have to haul it all home again.

Seattle's show has gotten so big that they do it in two parts now - Part 1 in February and Part 2 in September. I expect that my feet will be pretty sore tonight and I'll be bone weary tomorrow. Still, I always seem to be able to fill up a couple of bags with literature about all sorts of new stuff and I like to be able to get my hands on stuff and physically look it over rather than read about it.

If you've got these shows going on in your areas, you really should attend. You can actually learn a lot - once you learn to ignore the folklore, that is.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Is it common in yalls areas for HI's to have booths at the home shows? I was encouraged to this year and they wanted me to do a seminar as well, but I didnt feel comfortable yet since I'm green...

Just curious if anyone has found that to be a successful marketing tool.

jodi

Every year I'm asked if I'd be interested in presenting at 2 regional old house expos. They give you a table, have you do private consultations and give a lecture.

Every year I ask them how much they will pay. They always seem shocked when I ask that question as all of the other vendors pay them!

Jodi said:

but I didnt feel comfortable yet since I'm green...

You may be new, but I'm betting that you're doing a better job than 80% of your veteran competition. Asking questions and continually increasing your knowledge base is a sign of excellence.

Pay no mind to Kibbel. He's an uber inspector, universally well known and respected and he can demand things that would be refused to the rest of us. If you're new and ethical you'll need to exploit every marketing opportunity that doesn't include doing a realtor's laundry.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Jodi said:

but I didnt feel comfortable yet since I'm green...

You may be new, but I'm betting that you're doing a better job than 80% of your veteran competition. Asking questions and continually increasing your knowledge base is a sign of excellence.

Pay no mind to Kibbel. He's an uber inspector, universally well known and respected and he can demand things that would be refused to the rest of us. If you're new and ethical you'll need to exploit every marketing opportunity that doesn't include doing a realtor's laundry.

Dang,

I bought all that Cheer for nothing.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Pay no mind to Kibbel. He's an uber inspector, universally well known and respected and he can demand things that would be refused to the rest of us.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make, so I'll try again.

I won't pay to be a vendor at a trade show 'cuz I think it depreciates the perception of our profession. I would prefer that we were viewed as professional consultants that deserve to be compensated for sharing our knowledge.

In other words, I think we shouldn't be doin' a weekend long, live infomercial, in a booth between Glenda's Garden Gnomes and Sick Septic System Synergistic Solution.

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

That wasn't the point I was trying to make, so I'll try again.

I won't pay to be a vendor at a trade show 'cuz I think it depreciates the perception of our profession. I would prefer that we were viewed as professional consultants that deserve to be compensated for sharing our knowledge.

In other words, I think we shouldn't be doin' a weekend long, live infomercial, in a booth between Glenda's Garden Gnomes and Sick Septic System Synergistic Solution.

I understand your point, but I'll offer a different view.

The average homeowner doesn't see an inspector but once or twice every 15-20 years, if at all. Now, I don't set up booths at Home Shows, but I see that as a great way for Johnny & Susie Q. to learn about the current trends and opportunities for Home Inspection services. They may also be surprised at some of the technologies available to discover construction defects, and the wide range of companies offering the service.

A great many new products and trends are introduced at these shows, and the exposure can help consumers understand the need for our services, and the need to compare the different vendors for those services.

Dom.

I"ll agree with that statement Bill. I didn't mean that we should be pimp ourselves out for cheesy low brow events. I meant that if one is going to be in this business and market directly to the potential client then one must take advantage of opportunities to be available to a potential client.

I belong to an association that expects members to do some pro bono work to promote the preservation of old houses. I give presentations on the subject 4 or 5 times a year. For free.

It's the best advertising I've ever done. It puts me in front of smart people who share an interest and establishes a common ground for future work.

This forum has a lot of people that abhor marketing to realtors. It influenced my approach and I can honestly say I've never asked a realtor for a referral or walked into a realtor office.

My business model relies on working constantly to keep my company in front of soon-to-be clients. I haven't done a home show but I sure wouldn't rule it out if I was a brand new entry.

I think a home show and maybe by a stretch, a garden show or any other trade show for that matter are awesome ideas.

We rail against marketing to the realtor constantly, but I can't recall any legitimate, worthwhile ideas on how to get directly to the public (other than website optimization).

What an opportunity to get your face, your company brand, and your work in front of 10's of thousands of folks in a 3 or 4 day time period (Seattle numbers).