radon mitigation cost

Yeah I thought of that, but plateout involves electrostatically charged materials. A ceiling fan - or a standard circulating fan for that matter - will increase plateout ONLY if the other environmental factors (dust, humidity, open windows...) support it. That seems not to be something that can be generalized to all geographic regions.

Originally posted by ozofprev

Yeah I thought of that, but plateout involves electrostatically charged materials. A ceiling fan - or a standard circulating fan for that matter - will increase plateout ONLY if the other environmental factors (dust, humidity, open windows...) support it. That seems not to be something that can be generalized to all geographic regions.

Plus your furnace/air conditioner moves a lot of air. Find lots of home with high readings in summer and winter.

Good morning, Gents!

I hope all is well. Inspector Joe has hit the nail on the head. Inspector Gary is in close pursuit.

Having concluded some toxicological studies with strong beer last night, I not moving in normal sprite fashion this morning, so do me a favor and read this post a little slower than usual.

First a little refresher course in the basics. When one installs a radon mitigation system, are they really trying to get rid of the radon? Answer: No – of course not. Radon (Rn) is a “noble gasâ€

How do you respond to a home, where the furnace cycles constantly in cold or hot temperatures, and has high Radon readings? Or a home where the furnace fan is set to on and has high Radon readings. Is that any different than a ceiling fan? Rhetorical question, I'm sure you'll find a way.

Tell you what Caoimhín, next home I find that has high Radon readings I'll tell my customers to talk to you about installing two ceiling fans and how that will solve their problem - hell, I'll even retest for free. I'll have them call 303-903-7494

Therefore, since this has been known for decades, when one installs a radon mitigation system, they are increasing the risk of cancer. All I need to do is solicit plaintiffs who are non-smokers, have lung cancer and had a radon mitigation system installed and argue that the plaintiff contracted cancer BECAUSE of the radon mitigation system in their home, and sue the pants off the installers and manufactures! Then, I can join Caoimhín in the Bahamas sitting on the beach sipping drinks from glasses with little umbrellas!id="maroon">

You're too modest Caoimhín, you've must have made millions from debunking the Radon myths by now. Tell us the truth, what island do you own?

One other thing Caoimhín, what's up with the small print in your disclosure? I like this line the best: The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinionid="maroon">

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.) id="maroon">

I've never seen this type of thing with any other professional that posts here.

With all due respect Caoimhín you're wrong. I also believe you're doing the general public a great disservice with your personal spin on Radon.

I urge those with concerns about Radon gas to go to http://www.epa.gov/radon/ to learn more.

I have always loved science and math because they are not - or should not be - emotional subjects.

I understand, Caoimhín. As I said, however, there are several factors that make the degree to which air turbulence successfully plates out Rn DP's a variable.

The studies I remember (Holub, et al.) showed plateout percentages generally closer to 40% (not 90-95) but the science is real.

Thanks for the reminder of plateout. That explains why you also added the remark - "depending on what measurement device is used."

It's all good...

Good afternoon, Gents!

Terry:id="blue">

You ask:

How do you respond to a home, where the furnace cycles constantly in cold or hot temperatures, and has high Radon readings? Or a home where the furnace fan is set to on and has high Radon readings. Is that any different than a ceiling fan? Rhetorical question, I'm sure you'll find a way.

Yes, I will, and I'm happy to help you out there. Read my post titled SLRDs vs. Radon measurements. But it you were as well versed in the subject matter as you like to think, you would have already known the answer to your question and would not had posted it.

I’m sorry that the facts disturb you, but I noticed that you could not actually criticize a single point I made. I presume this is for one of two reasons: 1) you don’t understand what I said and/or 2) there was nothing inaccurate in my post. Otherwise, if there was something incorrect, and you understood the topic, you would have provided a technical rebuttal. Instead, you attacked my disclaimer!

I find that folks who don’t like the facts, but also don’t understand the topic, generally refer their detractors to links, and references they themselves have never read. Since you like the EPA let’s see what THEY say about their models:

Currently there is very little information about...the health effects associated with exposures to radon at levels believed to be commonly encountered by the public. The only human data available for predicting the risks to the public are studies examining the health effects of exposure to radon and its progeny in underground miners. This information would be appropriate for predicting the risks to the public if everyone was a miner, everyone lived in mines, and a large fraction of the general population smoked cigarettes.

(U.S. Department of Energy "Radon- Radon Research Program, FY 1989, DOE/ER-448P., March 1990)

Well, guess what? We don’t live in mines. So, the information is NOT appropriate. By the way, speaking of “guessing,â€

Terry

You pointed out something interesting about Caoimhín's post, though it was a shot at the time. I'm guessing he doesn't make millions debunking anything. He certainly doesn't make money sharing his opinions, professional or personal, here. I question more the companies that preach the hazards of radon, because they are often the ones making the money doing tests and mitigations.

I'm grateful that he's willing to share his knowledge and background with us.

We should all do our own research on topics like this. That means research from multiple sources. Caoimhín's one source, and I've learned a lot from his website and his posts, just like I learn every day from EVERY person that posts here.

Hi Caoimhín,

Thanks for the response. Actually Holub's work was with mixing fans in environmental chambers. Holub thought much of the plateout activity occurs on the fan blades themselves.

I have always enjoyed information in Thad Godish's Indoor Air Pollution Control. It covers many topics - I'm sure you've read it. In that book, he writes:

"Rudnick et al., also working with environmental chambers, observed mixing fan-related reductions in WLs on the order of 40-70%, with greater than 90% of the plateout taking place on room surfaces."

Honestly, I thought that 90% number may have been what you were using. That, of course is 90% of the 40-70%.

Although your source references Rudnick, I don't have access to your exact reference - but I'll trust you.