radon mitigation cost

couple more of my favorite $600 systems

Image Insert:

20083511919_00001010.jpg

106.11 KB

How I found the screening device after contractor came back to check his work and respond to my comments about sucking the radon out of water! Real estate agent paid to have it re-calibrated after contractor threw it out in driveway!

Image Insert:

200835111511_DSC01979-1.jpg

152.81 KB

Hi Les,

It wasn't this radon contractor, was it? He moved out of his own state to start another business someplace else. His state shut him down and fined him more than $14,000. He never did pay his fine - it's still open on the books.

OT - OF!!!

M.

P.S.

Looks like you had some poria (brown rot) eating the OSB in that first photo.

toooooooooooo much!! In fact, it was a minion. They are not actively involved with radon at this time, or at least they can't be located.

The rot was caused by sump overfilling (no pump) and the duct booster fan used for suction and the various sizes of pipe used.

Hmmm,

I've been thinking I need to go into the radon mitigation business out here in the western corridor. I've never seen a radon mitigation system here. It's a wide open market. All I need to do is open up a company and put a couple of ads in the paper and I'm sure that all of the folks moving here from other parts of the country where those systems are common will want to get those put in. I'll be able to clean up! [:-bonc01]

OT - OF!!!

Pssst, only kidding!

M.

Mike, not a bad idea.

I have always kept out of the installation because we can make more profit screening and inspecting systems. I have looked at it several times. Abt 15% of houses have "high" concentrations here in Mid-Michigan. There were a couple of issues with code compliance; no permit required to install 15amp dedicated circuits, sealing sumps that connect to floor drains, safe clearance around service entrance panels when sump is close by, cutting holes in roofs (leaks), etc.

We always refer to a particular company that is 1. neat 2. follows EPA protocols 3. Actually tests after installation 4. is a former home inspector that knows how to deal with panicky clients 5. and charges enough to do a very good job!

Originally posted by Les

We always refer to a particular company that is 1. neat 2. follows EPA protocols 3. Actually tests after installation 4. is a former home inspector that knows how to deal with panicky clients 5. and charges enough to do a very good job!

Les, I thought it was EPA protocol to have someone independent of the mitigation company retest after a system is installed. This avoids a conflict of interest.

Hi All,

Well, my curiosity got the best of me, so I got on the net and googled for the department of licensing and radon. Then I got ahold of the State Dept. of Health Radiation Division and talked to the only "Radon Guy" there, Mike Brennan [:-graduat. Mike tells me that, other than the need to have a contractors license and all of what's required for that, there are no licensing requirements out here for either radon testing or installing mitigation systems. [:-bigeyes

He says that when folks call asking about radon in the state he explains to them that there are only two hot spots in the state - Spokane and Vancouver - but recommends folks get the tests done anyway for peace of mind. He said that in those two areas new homes now have to be built with 'radon resistant contruction.' He said that when callers are interested in getting any testing or mitigation systems, he refers them to the websites of the two national organizations that certify radon professionals. [:-tophat]

Guess we're still wide open out there. [:-eyebrow

Guess I'll go down and get some new business cards printed. [;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

A topic I can reply to that doesnt call for experience and knowledge, yay!

I had servicemaster (yes the same place that steam cleans dog pee out of your carpets) come and give me an estimate for mitigation. There solution was simple and inexpensive. Vapor barrier on floor of dirt crawl space, fan powered vent on side of wall in crawl space...$300!

Obviously I know more needs to be done that just that. But my point being, in many states there is no requirements for certification or licensure.. So any schumck (or dog pee cleaner) can call themselves a radon removal service.

Kinda scary. I wonder how many people will die of lung cancer thinking their radon issue has been taken care of.

Originally posted by jodil

...my point being, in many states there is no requirements for certification or licensure.. So any schumck (or dog pee cleaner) can call themselves a radon removal service.

Yep,

I found out only yesterday that I could have made a fortune installing these systems for the past 11+ years because there are no licenses here or standards written into law.

D'oh!

OT - OF!!!

M.

Hi,

Well, he didn't say whether he meant inside or outside. I'll give an example. Last year I did a crawlspace that took me 40 minutes and was a nightmare to get through. It was nasty, dirty, dank, and dark. After a crawlspace cleanout guy came in cleaned it out, added some vents, and then lined 100% of it from an inch from the top of the foundation walls with a completely sealed vapor barrier, it took me about 5 minutes to scoot through and was a sight to behold. It actually looked nice in there!

OT - OF!!!

M.

Hi All,

Caoimhín has responded, but I think he clicked the "new topic" button instead of the "reply to topic" button because his response showed up as a new thread. I've pasted it below.

Mike

----------------------------------------------------

Good morning, Gents!

How does a vapor barrier improve the beauty of one's home?

The winner is……..

Two Casablanca ceiling fans. One upstairs, one down. (Or just two in a 1,500 ft2 ranch).

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com