why poured concrete basement wall is layered?

mikead

Dear friends:

I am house hunting, and fell in love with this newly built 2-story single family house, with unfinished basement.

Picture:

http://www.homediscussion.com/attachmen ... 1206988432

The basement wall is a concern (see attached picture). It's poured concrete, however looks like a three-layer cake. And the top layer has a darker color. Not surprisingly, the builder doesn't have any convincing explanations.

Can anyone advise what happened? Is this a serious issue?

Should I consider this house and pay for a home inspection at all?

BTW, the wall seems dry (there is a dehumidifier in the basement), and the dark layer doesn't seem to be caused by water damage, instead, it seems like a different type of concrete was used. I am from New Jersey.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Mike,

can't be very specific from photo presented, but typically that sort of thing is not an issue. Get an inspection and the inspector can tell you in a second if it is a problem.

We often call that a "lunch line". The difference is from a delay between truck loads of concrete, taking a break and eating lunch, batch differencial, etc. Usually not a problem.

Get a home inspection. There are lots of very good inspectors in New Jersey!

• 2 weeks later...

The layer with the drastic color change is due to separate pours, maybe even different concrete companys or different strengths of concrete too. When I am trying to match concrete, I find I have a better shot at it if I use the same company.

The other line that is almost level looks like a form joint. It difficult to be sure from the picture.

Like Les says, a good home inspection will tell you that plus more. If you are seriously considering purchasing this or any other home, you really should know what you are buying. With the price of real estate being what it is, it will be money well spent.

I tend to concur more with the concrete batch differential rather than the cold joint/lunch line. It would be well worth the investment of a good inspection to further evaluate this condition and certainly the rest of the home. It is hard to tell from the picture, but what is the lighter color showing up at the joists? I can't tell for sure if they are wooden wedges or something else. It's just hard to evaluate from your photo...

Walter,

Could be you are right. Now I am curious why you would think batch rather than lunch line. It is not a cold joint. I am being serious and don't want to appear argumentative just want to understand. NOTE: I still think electronic conversations lack the nuances and fun of face to face communication.

Originally posted by wsmbgm

what is the lighter color showing up at the joists? I can't tell for sure if they are wooden wedges or something else. It's just hard to evaluate from your photo...

Looks like batting used to insulate the rim joist to me. It's wedge-shaped because of the angle it was taken from.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Les

Walter,

Could be you are right. Now I am curious why you would think batch rather than lunch line. It is not a cold joint. I am being serious and don't want to appear argumentative just want to understand. NOTE: I still think electronic conversations lack the nuances and fun of face to face communication.

Les,

You are correct pointing out it is definitely not a cold joint! I've seen color differences resulting from lunch lines being over-vibrated to blend the "before lunch" with "after lunch". The aggregate goes down and the grout comes up which will create a darker color, but I've not seen one that different. Just an opinion based on what I've experienced. I only relay my thoughts and I am always open to how others see it and call it. That's the beauty of drawing from each others knowledge and experience. I did not take your comment as being argumentative.

W.S. "Cye" Miles

APRE Inspections, Inc.

Maryville, TN

Originally posted by wsmbgm

It would be well worth the investment of a good inspection to further evaluate this condition. . .

I'm not sure as to what else there would be to evaluate.

What are some additional things you would look for to make any further assesment other than what the photos already show?

Honestly I likely would look very closely at the surfaces both interior and exterior. Examine the fines and cement coating of same. I often use a 20x loupe. I would also look at the affected area in relation to the point the concrete was poured into forms. Exterior grade, type of heating system, age, and percent of foundation that is darker. With a little study I would feel comfortable talking to my client. Walter has a good perspective about the grout because of the nearly horizontal line.