Acetylene generators

mridgeelk

Acetylene generators were used about 100 years ago for gas production for lighting systems. They are now abandoned and usually contain some gray goop. Is that goop hazardous and is there a specific manner to dispose of the tank and its contents? I think that carbide rods were inserted into the tank that had water and/or another liquid. The tanks resemble a Russian sputnik.

Originally posted by mridgeelk

Acetylene generators were used about 100 years ago for gas production for lighting systems. They are now abandoned and usually contain some gray goop. Is that goop hazardous and is there a specific manner to dispose of the tank and its contents? I think that carbide rods were inserted into the tank that had water and/or another liquid. The tanks resemble a Russian sputnik.

All I know about them is that they used carbide & water.

I found this formula on Wikipedia's page on calcium carbide:

CaC2 + 2 H2O = C2H2 + Ca(OH)2

The C2H2 is acetylene. Ca(OH)2 is calcium hydroxide or slaked lime.

I have no idea if any of this is correct. The last chemistry class I took was in high school.

Maybe someone who actually knows what he's talking about will pipe up soon.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by mridgeelk

Acetylene generators were used about 100 years ago for gas production for lighting systems. They are now abandoned and usually contain some gray goop. Is that goop hazardous and is there a specific manner to dispose of the tank and its contents?

That gray goop is called carbide sludge or carbide lime, which is only calcium hydroxide. It's not considered toxic or hazardous. Waste from industrial generators is filtered or settled out in retaining ponds and used in water treatment, agriculture and other applications. The only caution would be the same as with handling or breathing the dust of powdered lime (when I make and use lime mortar, I loose my fingerprints for a few weeks).

I think that carbide rods were inserted into the tank that had water and/or another liquid. The tanks resemble a Russian sputnik.

Calcium carbide is made by electrocuting limestone. Acetylene generators either dropped carbide pellets into water or dripped water onto carbide to create the acetylene gas.

This was fun: www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2823

Howdy, Gents!

Most of what was said was correct – EXCEPT- calcium hydroxide is NASTY stuff, and should be handled very carefully. For example, if you had a choice of getting hot hydrochloric acid splashed in your eyes or a cold dallop of that stuff – choose the acid, cuz permanent blindness is guaranteed with calcium hydroxide.

I have also seen very serious skin burns resulting from occupational exposures. Also, be aware that it would be a RCRA hazardous waste. It is incompatible with many other compounds, and should be stored and handled with care.

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG