What is this?

O

Can somebody please tell me what this black pipe is? Right below the faucet on the right-hand side? The house does have gas, but it's not a gas pipe is it? is it some kind of air gap to prevent water hammer? or am i way off base?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks for the reply. it is capped, but it is on the side of the house which would be a strange location for a gas connection and there is a gas connection in the back yard for a grill, so i don't think that's what it is ... any other ideas?

ok, so the gas meter is actually present on the same wall, but it's a good 10 to 15 yards away and there is an A/C unit between the two. you can see the meter in this picture (meant to show grains in the gutter)... so you think they could have just changed their mind about the location of the meter?

Thanks for all the ideas so far ... my lack of understanding still scares me.

Image Insert:

200842685644_gas%20meter.jpg

271.86 KB

Originally posted by O

ok, so the gas meter is actually present on the same wall, but it's a good 10 to 15 yards away and there is an A/C unit between the two. you can see the meter in this picture (meant to show grains in the gutter)... so you think they could have just changed their mind about the location of the meter?

Thanks for all the ideas so far ... my lack of understanding still scares me.

Image Insert:

200842685644_gas%20meter.jpg

271.86 KB

Well seriously I would not worry much about it whatever it is. I would just tell them “I don’t know what it is, but I know it is not a problem, if you’re really interested you can try asking the current ownersâ€

Originally posted by AHI

Could it be for a lawn sprinkler system that has yet to be installed?

Unlikely. It's "best" practice to have a dedicated service for an irrigation (separate meter or t at the meter) main line. A backflow preventer is also needed.