Ambulance Chasers

Steven Hockstein

Last week my wife was waiting at a stop sign and someone hit the back of her van when she was stopped. There is some damage to her bumper and rear hatch. Luckily, nobody was injured. She called the police and requested an official report of the accident because we have to turn in the leased van soon and want to make sure there were no problems with the damage being paid for by the other driver's insurance company.

She has already received letters from a chiropractor and a lawyer soliciting business. They apparently review police reports and use this information to find accident "Victims."

Their letters basically encourage abusing the legal system to collect money. The lawyer letter states that there will be no cost if there is no recovery of money. The "Doctor" offered to be an expert in litigation. They are both sleazy "Professionals" but have not broken any laws because of they way the letters are crafted.

No wonder that insurance costs are so high!

Yeah, I got the same letters last year when I was rear-ended. Not really knowing what the deal was, I set an appointment with one of the lawyers and they sent out a rep. It ended up by me telling her that I couldn't do what she was asking without lying because I actually wasn't hurt. She must have been new, because she said thanks and that I was her kind of person. She probably won't last long!

Mike M

Steve,

I don't see much TV, just an antenna that gets 3 channels, and all I ever see is the morning weather/news, but those brief periods are blanketed by ambulance chasing lawyers.

It used to be unethical for lawyers to advertise.

You don't have to look any further to understand why our auto insurance rates are so high.

I heard that John McCain told this joke.

"What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?

Answer, one is a scum-sucking bottom feeder and the other is a fish."

Steven,

Consider this a formal offering of my service as a Home Inspector. If I don't recover money damages, then you don't pay me a single penny.*

*you are responsible for all costs, charges, expert fees, etc. An initial deposit of $25,000 may be required and I will account for every penny of it on monthly statements. References available.

Originally posted by Les

Steven,

Consider this a formal offering of my service as a Home Inspector. If I don't recover money damages, then you don't pay me a single penny.*

*you are responsible for all costs, charges, expert fees, etc. An initial deposit of $25,000 may be required and I will account for every penny of it on monthly statements. References available.

Sounds like a good deal. Maybe you could also do a "Free" chimney inspection while you are there.

Some lawyers have gone further than that. I recently renewed my motorcycle registration by mail. The same day I received my new reg I also received a letter from a law firm specializing in bike related accidents including a handy keychain with their info on it so that in the event of an accident I can call while still laying in the road.

That is almost as sleazy as the State selling them my info.

Tom