Gas fireplace vent clearance

Good point, Brandon. I also mentioned that to my client since it was evident that the basement was finished by the home owner, and I had no idea if the gas fireplace was installed by the home owner or a qualified professional. From other things I found in the basement, I suspected the home owner is probably a DYI or HGTV watching person who doesn't know how to properly do things. hi.

For CYA reasons, I recommended having the unit thoroughly inspected by a qualified fireplace professional for proper operation and installation. The pilot was not lit, so I couldn't even turn the fireplace on.

No idea if the vinyl fence was installed before or after the fireplace install. Either way, common sense didn't win in this one. :)

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Question for all.......

How many of you will/ will not light a pilot on a gas lot unit?

Brandon,

I'll usually do it, explaining that if the pilot is not lighted, I'll give it a try, but I'm not spending 15 minutes to bleed out the air. If I can't light it in a few minutes, that's it.

Originally posted by msteger

For CYA reasons, I recommended having the unit thoroughly inspected by a qualified fireplace professional for proper operation and installation. The pilot was not lit, so I couldn't even turn the fireplace on.

Pardon my jumping in, but why not get the data (mfr., SN, etc.) off the vent and/or FP and call the manufacturer? Or maybe Google the data? That would get your customer first-hand info from the manufacturer, and it would save him from the "qualified fireplace professional," who may charge a couple hundred bucks, and not know more about that FP than the family cat. Worse, the qualified pro might be the seller or RE agent's lackey.

Best I recall, there's a data plate on those vents.

BTW, best I know, passing the buck doesn't really C your A. In a worst-case scenario, it gets an HI sitting in the witness chair, waiting for the plaintiff's expert to explain that the best course of action would have to been to get info from the mfr.

WJid="blue">

Yep to Walter.

Around here, the folks who install and service pre-fab fireplaces work for the companies that sell the things. Their expertise is typically derived from three-day certification courses.

I have a Verizon Wireless card built into my Dell computer, and Google information on the job all the time. I also have a large file of .pdfs--many of which I cribbed from TIJ--on my computer that I can access if I'm uncertain about a particular detail.

I haven't had tons of luck phoning manufacturers. The person who answers the phone is normally clueless, and getting someone in-the-know on the line can take forever.

I haven't had tons of luck phoning manufacturers. The person who answers the phone is normally clueless, and getting someone in-the-know on the line can take forever.

I feel your pain. I call on several manufactureres regularly for my day job, and my go to Gal at one of them just retired. She knew more than the rest of the customer service department combined.

The fact that everything looks DIY'ed is probably a good thing, it will be a lot easier to move the fence post if the homeowner failed to fill it with the requesite concrete and rebar.

http://www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonlyres ... /0/201.pdf

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Question for all.......

How many of you will/ will not light a pilot on a gas lot unit?

We didn't light them. I told customers that I loved them, but I wasn't going to get my face blown off messing around with strangers' pilot lights. I'll leave that to Wile E Coyote or Larry, Darryl and Darryl.

True stories:

A TN HI burnt up an arm messing around with a water heater pilot.

Another TN HI lit up an FP pilot without looking up the flue, where there was a big chunk of styrofoam. Result: Lots of smoke damage and a big red fire engine.

Way to go TN HIs...

A long-time HVAC man once told me: "If you mess around with gas regularly, you will catch yourself on fire sooner or later. And, Richard Pryor was right: if you're on fire, people will get out of your way."

I told customers if they wanted to see the gas burn, get the owner to light the fireplace. I also told customers the above true stories. Made me look smart, I think.

I'm amazed that I have to explain this.

WJid="blue">

Originally posted by msteger

I've called the local code guy 3 times in charge of that township regarding another issue found during the home inspection and he's never called me back. Makes it a little tough when trying to verify what the AHJ allows.

Forget the local muni. Go straight to the horse's mouth, and cite the code yourself. It's public domain.

IMHO, the HI has to be smarter than the AHJ. That's easy to do.

WJid="blue">