Is this asbestos?

travismoshier

Originally posted by travismoshier

I know to find out if something is asbestos it should be tested, but can anyone identify this material? It was on the distribution pipes from the boiler. Sorry the pictures are not as clear as I like.

I don't know what that can be other than asbestos aircell insulation.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by travismoshier

I know to find out if something is asbestos it should be tested, but can anyone identify this material? It was on the distribution pipes from the boiler. Sorry the pictures are not as clear as I like.

Image Insert:

200810150235_plumbibg%20heating%20pipeinsulation.jpg

39.89 KB

Image Insert:

200810150342_IMG_0260.jpg

33.23 KB

From a Cir. 1920's American Radiator Co. catalog I have...

Image Insert:

2008101543546_DSCN0024.jpg

187.53 KB

Image Insert:

2008101543626_DSCN0025.jpg

186.75 KB

What the pictures show is what I grew (sp?) up with and am used to seeing around here, a canvas wrap. Yours I'm sure is just a local incarnation, different manufacturer.

If this doesn't help, take a pinch between your cheek and gum and see if it tastes like Asbestos[^]

For Liability reasons. I am kidding... No, really, I am.

Likely asbestos containing.

We have had materials like that tested many times and usually it does contain asbestos. We have had several samples not contain asbestos. Our experience leads us to recommend testing, if they want.

There is a common protocol for testing that some labs don't seem to follow.

Some visual clues are the method of fastening, brittleness of wrap, gauze vs open weave cloth, paper wrap, color, configuration of substrate, labels, rust on fasteners, configuration of transition and connection fittings, etc. These clues only give you a basis for an opinion. If you want to really know, have it tested by a lab.

I had my ego shattered in late 1980's when I insisted a similiar material was asbestos containing. There are always exceptions to any "rule". I have learned that there are thousands of regional differences in this business.

Follow Bill K's lead and read old books. Of course you could Google it and think you know.

Image Insert:

2008101543626_DSCN0025.jpg

186.75 KB

What the pictures show is what I grew (sp?) up with and am used to seeing around here, a canvas wrap. Yours I'm sure is just a local incarnation, different manufacturer.

If this doesn't help, take a pinch between your cheek and gum and see if it tastes like Asbestos[^]

For Liability reasons. I am kidding... No, really, I am.

I did taste it. It does taste like asbestos, with a hint of oaky flavor.[:-bigeyes

That catalog picture is great. It looks exactly like it! Thanksid="blue">

Originally posted by Les

Likely asbestos containing.

We have had materials like that tested many times and usually it does contain asbestos. We have had several samples not contain asbestos. Our experience leads us to recommend testing, if they want.

There is a common protocol for testing that some labs don't seem to follow.

Some visual clues are the method of fastening, brittleness of wrap, gauze vs open weave cloth, paper wrap, color, configuration of substrate, labels, rust on fasteners, configuration of transition and connection fittings, etc. These clues only give you a basis for an opinion. If you want to really know, have it tested by a lab.

I had my ego shattered in late 1980's when I insisted a similiar material was asbestos containing. There are always exceptions to any "rule". I have learned that there are thousands of regional differences in this business.

Follow Bill K's lead and read old books. Of course you could Google it and think you know.

Les,

In instances where the material tested as non Asbestos, what material/materials was it?

Let me gently suggest this protocol: If you can't tell what it is by looking at it, best to get it tested.

I wonder: Does anybody worry about this anymore? Best I know, no piece of asbestos I ever wrote up ever got removed, or even encapsulated. I had a few pulmonologist customers; they laughed in asbestos' face.

(See how I snuck in that s-apostophe? I'm trying to do my part.)

WJ

Lab(s) reported it as a Plaster of Paris type product; limestone base. Seems there were several regional gypsum mines that sold a byproduct to paper companies who in turn used it with their scrap to produce "plaster" impregnated material. Think Henry Ford and his shipping crates used for floor boards in the Model T.

I recall US Gypsum marketing an asbestos free product circa 1940's. I will peruse my old publications for an example of an ad.

Most of the old fart inspectors, myself included, would bet on ACM but would not report it as such. It is kinda like the lead base paint issue. Too many experts.

Thread drift! This reminds me of the crack house in Lansing that a couple of kids explored during their lunch break and ripped the Honeywell T-stat off the wall. The local police, fire department, health department, school board, reporters and parents closed off the entire block and entire school (including kids and teachers) because of the mercury contamination potential. They never did recover all that mercury. But a bunch of kids did get a free shower and new clothes. Do you KNOW how much mercury was in that vial?