PE through slab without protective sleeve

John Dirks Jr

I found this in the IRC but it doesnt mention slabs.

P2603.5 Pipes through footings or foundation walls.

Any pipe that passes under a footing or through a foundation wall shall be provided with a relieving arch; or there shall be built into the masonry wall a pipe sleeve two pipe sizes greater than the pipe passing through.

Here is a PE main supply passing through the slab without protection. Should this be written up and is there a code reference specific to it?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009417185033_HPIM5409.jpg

30.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009417185159_HPIM5412.jpg

58.12 KB

From the 2003 IPC code commentary: "Piping installed within or under a footing or foundation wall must be structurally protected from any transfered loading from the footing or foundation wall. This protection may be provided through the use of a relieving arch or a pipe sleeve." As this pipe appears to be coming up through the floor there should be no issue with that bit of code. A wrap or sleeve to protect against foundational movement probably should have been put in place.

I found this in the IRC but it doesnt mention slabs.

P2603.5 Pipes through footings or foundation walls.

Any pipe that passes under a footing or through a foundation wall shall be provided with a relieving arch; or there shall be built into the masonry wall a pipe sleeve two pipe sizes greater than the pipe passing through.

Here is a PE main supply passing through the slab without protection. Should this be written up and is there a code reference specific to it?

How about P2603.3?

P2603.3 Breakage and corrosion. Pipes passing through or

under walls shall be protected from breakage. Pipes passing

through concrete or cinder walls and floors, cold-formed steel

framing or other corrosive material shall be protected against

external corrosion by a protective sheathing or wrapping or

other means that will withstand any reaction from lime and acid

of concrete, cinder or other corrosive material. Sheathing or

wrapping shall allowfor expansion and contraction of piping to

prevent any rubbing action. Minimum wall thickness of material

shall be 0.025 inch (0.64 mm).

Now I know it's a plastic pipe and not likely to corrode in the presence of concrete, but you might argue that the second-to-last sentence applies to your pipe.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I see that done quite often. I think the most likely problem would be damage from moving storage around or falling on it. PE will actually stretch quite a bit before it will break. As always if it had a sleeve professionally installed before the concrete was placed would have been nice.