Wait! I've got an idea.

gtblum

And?

Crimping and soldering is a pretty common way to quickly close off a section when a pipe is re-routed or eliminated and no caps are available. Is it pretty? No. Is it a huge screwup or unprofessional? Not necessarily. How will that negatively affect the plumbing performance?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Nope, just a little sloppy with the solder.

Tom

Ok. If you guys say so but, I'm not paying for it, if it lets go.

That's a crappy job. To do this right, you have to thoroughly clean the inside of the tube first, then apply flux, then crimp it so that the walls of the tube are tightly pressed together, then apply the solder.

From the looks of that joint, the guy who did it isn't going to be winning any Plumber of the Year awards. If it holds, it'll do so in spite of his workmanship, not because of it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

r.

From the looks of that joint, the guy who did it isn't going to be winning any Plumber of the Year awards. If it holds, it'll do so in spite of his workmanship, not because of it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

But think of how green that is. He didn't use two gallons of gas to go to home d for a cap. Necessity has always been the mother. Sloppy or not, I got a few of those around my basement.

Could somebody direct me to some documentation stating that this is an accepted and, approved method of terminating copper? I'm coming up empty handed.

I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm just looking for a reference in case I need it in the future.

Thanks

Could somebody direct me to some documentation stating that this is an accepted and, approved method of terminating copper? I'm coming up empty handed.

I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm just looking for a reference in case I need it in the future.

Thanks

Hi Gary:

I don't think anyone can point you to a publication that states that crimping and soldering copper is an "approved" method of capping however I seen it done many times. To me it's more of a common sense thing. Will anyone be injured because of it? Is it leaking now? Are there bigger fish to fry? What would I recommend, that it be taken apart then put back together with a short nipple and a cap because it doesn't look pretty now?? I ain't drillin' down that far.

Thanks

I doubt that you'll find any documentation. It's one of those time-honored practices that works just fine but isn't exactly kosher. Kind of like a California stop.

- Jim Katen, Oregon