How many call this out?

DonTx

Some builders are putting the gas shut off valves in the cabinets to either side of the range.

Since someone mentioned the "spirit" of the code, here is the IRC's definition of "ready access".

READY ACCESS (TO). That which enables a device,

appliance or equipment to be directly reached, without requiring the removal or movement of any panel, door or similar obstruction.

Wouldn't the range be considered an obstruction?

Donald

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

READY ACCESS (TO). That which enables a device,

appliance or equipment to be directly reached, without requiring the removal or movement of any panel, door or similar obstruction.

Wouldn't the range be considered an obstruction?

Interesting. Speaking as the Devils advocate, I would say that the range is not a "similar obstruction" to a door or a panel. It's actually a much greater one.

Brian G.

What got me to thinking about this was a question the other day from a client. She said that they'd had a gas leak once with a range. She was there with her kids and could not figure out where in the range the leaks was. She knew the shut off was behind the range but could not slide it out to shut it off nor could she reach it when she tilted it forward. She ended up calling the gas company who told her to leave the home and wait for a gas tech to arrive.

Her question to me was...."What should I have done?". "Exactly what you did" I told her.

She said if the shut off vavle would have been where she could have reached it, then she could have shut it off. True enough I guess.

Donald

• 2 months later...

In my neck of the woods, the gas main block valve, takes two men and a boy and a 14" cresent or similiar device to operate. Some builders have received "special dispensation" to install ball valves beyond the block valve, but are hesitant due to accidental closure and frozen house. By the way, I don't mention gas valves behind ranges.