Johns Manville Gas Vent

Does anyone recommend replacement when they find these babies? I see them pretty often, and tell customers about the asbestos, but never suggest modifications are necessary since the pipes are typically encapsulated by finish materials except for in the attic.

I do normally recommend adding a rain-cap above the roof, which drives everyone nuts since there aren't any--that I know of--readily available, oblong, after-market caps available.

Does anyone recommend replacement when they find these babies? I see them pretty often, and tell customers about the asbestos, but never suggest modifications are necessary since the pipes are typically encapsulated by finish materials except for in the attic.

Transite can contain up to 25% chrysotile fibers, however, I don't recommend replacement/abatement of transite gas vents or plumbing vents unless there is damage or deterioration. It's not because they are mostly concealed, but rather because there is very little risk of asbestos fiber release.

Oval huh, I've never seen it in any shape other than round.

Transite can contain up to 25% chrysotile fibers, however, I don't recommend replacement/abatement of transite gas vents or plumbing vents unless there is damage or deterioration. It's not because they are mostly concealed, but rather because there is very little risk of asbestos fiber release.

Oval huh, I've never seen it in any shape other than round.

The ones I see are exactly like the pipe in Frank's photo, oval, and that's how they terminate above the roof line. Is there a transition piece that installers in my area never learned about?

There's an area here that was developed back in the 60's that used Transite for the under slab forced air ducting [:-bigeyes That one I called. Of course the homeowner threw a fit. I suggested my client have the house tested for Asbestos contamination and the ducts scoped to see if they were lined with anything or damaged, and to think about getting them sealed or lined. They weren't lined at all but there was no contamination from samples around the house.

• 3 months later...