Molded CMU

Try Paolini's, across the Delaware, just south of Easton. I didn't see them listed as a product that they carry, but their building is constructed of a very similar block. I imagine that they made the blocks themselves and would still have the molds. If not, their motto is "If you can draw it, we can build it."

Paolini's is a cool place. They have an amazingly large product line. To see everything, you can spend several hours wandering around the yard.

Paolini's Cast Stone

Those rusticated blocks weren't made in a factory. They were formed on-site. These machines were very common about the time that home was built.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009910183628_blockmachine.jpg

12.82 KB

You could even buy one from a Sears catalog.

There is only one company that has the machines AND some of the original casting plates. You won't find any other block manufacturer making anything that comes close - only "split-face block". I'll try to find the contact info. They're in Indiana and ship anywhere.

I didn't mean to give the impression that the block made here are "factory made". One local concrete plant manufactures a wide assortment of cast concrete components, mostly from rejected batches. They make this type of block and some pavers from purpose mixed batches but production runs are very small, not quite as small as job lots but pretty close. I think the molds for the block were made for one specific project, and now they run them because they can and no one else does.

Tom

Bill,

The blocks (cmu's) were not always made onsite. Really common, but not always done. I personally knew and worked with a contractor that had a batch mixer and forms for a dozen or so patterns. He made them with pit run gravel, with river sand and cement. Dry mix - air dry. The mixer was a 1 1/2cuyd with cable pan.

I also knew two cement, concrete, cinder block "plants" that were making them until mid 1960's.

My experience and knowledge is anecdotal to your research and scholarship.

I will be nice and not respond in kind with an insult.

It would have been an insult if I am wrong. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.
I think you should know that the project is a small old house (not historic) with a small kitchen addition and a small budget.
What standard did you use when YOU determined your client's home is "not historic"?
I was trying to match the foundation but I am not going to foolishly spend my client's whole budget on shipping blocks from Indiana for a 4 foot by 20 foot kitchen bump-out!
Did you actually find out how much LTL freight would cost? Did you present the clients with the option and cost? I was involved in a project in central NJ where they shipped 8 pallets of hand-made bricks from North Carolina for under $600.00.