Gutter opinion please

Robert Jones

This home was recently re-roofed and I called out the lack of gutters on the front, upper level of the roof. I called it just for the section above the garage because the section to the left near the chimney chase was sloped to the back of the home. The seller is stating that there is no way that gutters can be installed on the section above the garage because of the design. I think gutters can and should be installed with the addition of 2 downspouts, one on either end. Opinions please.

Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091026202754_P1050365%2010-19-2009.jpg

48.16 KB

I think gutters can and should be installed with the addition of 2 downspouts, one on either end.

I don't see how that would work. As Tom pointed out, you would really need 5 downspouts in order for all sections to drain. What they (or the dumb architect) should have done was extend the 3 shorter sections of roof so that it was a straight shot across.

The house faces south or west, correct? I would worry about splashback onto the siding as the prevailing winds are going to be pushing it that way. I think you did right in calling it, and your client should be aware that it's not ideal, but I can also understand the resistance in fixing it.

Thanks Richard. As I sit here and look at the pic, it would look horrendous with the gutters and downspouts(5) installed. I was just on the phone with my client informing him of the feed back I was receiving and he completely understands. Do you have any experience with the warranty side of this setup? That is going to be quite a bit of water dumping onto the lower roof, which could lead to premature wear and tear. Do shingle manufacturers void warranties for something like this? I tried to call a couple of the manufacturers but, they were already closed. I will try in the morning. Just curious.

Thanks again.

On the south/west thing...I probably have that wrong. You guys down there are actually backwards from King County, aren't you? So if this is the north or east sides I would have a bit less concern. I would doubt that the shingles themselves are going to suffer that much, certainly no more than having a downspout directing all runoff onto a single area.

I would have recommended a gutter system as well, and unless I am looking at it wrong only see the need for 2 downspouts (for the roof plane above the garage).

There would be 5 gutters, 3 sloped downspouts that drain water to the lower gutters above the windows, and then 2 downspouts down to the lower roof line.

I don't like seeing water splashing onto a lower roof line as it seems to deteriorat the shingles faster, and the splash back is an issue in my opinion.

By the way, sellers, sellers contractors, and listing agents often say there is no way to do something, when in fact they just don't want to deal with it, are not qualified to do so , etc.

I would have recommended a gutter system as well, and unless I am looking at it wrong only see the need for 2 downspouts (for the roof plane above the garage).

There would be 5 gutters, 3 sloped downspouts that drain water to the lower gutters above the windows, and then 2 downspouts down to the lower roof line.

I don't like seeing water splashing onto a lower roof line as it seems to deteriorat the shingles faster, and the splash back is an issue in my opinion.

By the way, sellers, sellers contractors, and listing agents often say there is no way to do something, when in fact they just don't want to deal with it, are not qualified to do so , etc.

Agreed. A good gutter guy could make it look good. What's with the windows that come right down to the roof surface?

In my area, with a house like that, I could pretty much guarantee that if I walked into the garage to a point directly beneath those windows and looked up, I'd see water stains on the garage ceiling because *no one* uses sill pan flashing at the bottom of the windows.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

OK, IF you are going to cut off the protruding ends of the rafter tails (barge boards?), and with 8 mitred corners, then I agree a pair of downspouts would work. Problem is that I think it would actually look uglier than the 5 downspouts from 5 separate straight sections of gutter. That would at least match the gutter details elsewhere.

Bottom line...It's a stupid design!

Yep,

I'm remembering one exactly like you describe with a bunch of rot at one corner and a chimney crown all cracked to hell because there was a single wythe perimeter with a tile up the center and a plywood lid buried under mortar that had rotted out revealing that there were huge open spaces around the flue tile.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I ended up contacting the manufacturer and was told that if a claim was made for damaged shingles, and the damage was deemed to have been caused by the roof to roof spillage and there were no gutters/downspouts installed, they would not be covered under warranty. Makes sense since it really is not a "defect" of the manufacturer.