Winterizing a home

Bill H

First off, I'd say: Don't. Because more often than not, it isn't done right and it results in damage. But if someone just has to:

They shut off the water supply to the house. Then, open every fixture and drain all of the water of the pipes, water heater, and boiler. Next, pour anti-freeze in all of the traps and toilets.

Like chad said. use the air to push all water out. Start at the fixture closest to the water service entrance. 30 lbs. air pressure. Use RV anti freeze from Walmart. A dishwasher is a trap. Close off the water heater and washing machine valves after the blown out is complete.

From what I've seen of winterized homes going through hard winters, the best winterization would be keeping the heat on and installing thermostatic sensors in appropriate locations and tie them to one of those online safety alert computer programs.

Alarm sounds, send over a technician.

From what I hear banks don’t pay much to have a home winterized ($40 - $50) and they seem to get what they pay for. This past Spring I cannot count the number of homes that had broken pipes when they were de-winterized.

Pipes, radiators, delaminated drywall, loose tape seams, warped flooring, wood lath and scratch coats separating, etc., etc. Freezing a house screws them up.