Brown granules

krysanic

Could someone please help me identify these brown granules?

I have found twice since moving into a new home (new to us, built in 1955) a few months ago.

I have only found them in one bedroom in the house and only in one corner of the bedroom which happens to have two exterior walls.

Thank you so much for any help/suggestions you can offer.

Click to Enlarge
200912171856_brown_granules.jpeg

6.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
2009121718526_brown_granules2.jpeg

5.65 KB

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I tried to upload a higher resolution image, but it didn't turn out as detailed as I would have liked.

The flash used in the picture gives the granules a more reddish tone than they do in person. The granules are all uniform in size and shape. I think I noticed some moisture under the table where I found the granules today. Is this normal for termite droppings?

Thanks again for your help!

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091217221822_brown_granules_high_res.jpg

36.73 KB

Given where the OP lives, and his use of the word "granules", as opposed to dust, powder, etc, my money is still on termites, drywood termites specifically. Larger photos might help but, as the droppings have evidently reappeared, he clearly has some sort of active insect infestation that needs ID, evaluation and treatment from an on-site pro.

I think I noticed some moisture under the table where I found the granules today. Is this normal for termite droppings?

I wouldn't expect to see moisture...might it be un-related?

Question...have the droppings always been found under the same table? If so, it could actually be from imported insects in the table itself. Whatever, you really need to have someone come in and take an in-person look.

Could someone please help me identify these brown granules?

I have found twice since moving into a new home (new to us, built in 1955) a few months ago.

I have only found them in one bedroom in the house and only in one corner of the bedroom which happens to have two exterior walls.

Thank you so much for any help/suggestions you can offer.

No one can tell squat from those pictures. If you want meaninful advice, post better pictures.

Take the paper towel full of stuff outside when the sky is overcast. If it's sunny, go to a shaded location so that there aren't any harsh shadows. Turn off your camera's flash and use the macro setting to take a close-up picture of the stuff. Get close. Make sure that the picture is sharp.

Post a nice screen-size picture, maybe 800x600.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Do they look like this: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/ ... eb0787.pdf

Or this: http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures ... mite04.htm

Or piles of these: http://images.quickblogcast.com/114070- ... ow_ant.jpg

As Jim said, the picture doesn't show nearly enough detail.

All I can tell is that they could be termite fecal matter or piles of dead moisture ants.

All I can tell is that they could be termite fecal matter or piles of dead moisture ants.

It's definitely not dead insects. I was able to blow it up, and though the resolution began breaking down, I'm pretty certain it's Pacific Dampwood Termite Frass. I'm kind of familiar with the little suckers and what their pellets look like; for about two years I had about 5,000 to 10,000 of the little buggers living in a terrarium on my desktop.

I don't know squat about any drywood termites, I've never seen one. PDWT frass is distinct and formed - not scaly and irregular like sub frass. Look for some wet wood somewhere above where you're finding the frass. Get a pick and do some pocking around.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hopefully you have a pest control contractor under contract already for periodic inspection.

I do, and when I fould some dust left by exiting powder post beetles beside little holes in some flooring, the guy came out, looked, and advised and did not charge one dime.

In my case the evidence showed the bug was gone, and he advised I forget about it.

Question...have the droppings always been found under the same table? If so, it could actually be from imported insects in the table itself. Whatever, you really need to have someone come in and take an in-person look.

RE: your question. No, the droppings were there when we moved into the house, so they are not coming from the table, unfortunately.

I will contact a professional, perhaps the guy who did the original termite inspection at the time of the sale. Or maybe I should get a second opinion given that he never mentioned seeing any signs of termites.

What I am confused about is that the droppings are on the hardwood floor. I'm not a professional expert, like you guys, I'm just a first time homeowner. I don't understand where the droppings could be coming from. Perhaps the baseboards or the actual hardwood floorboards? The hardwood floor is original, red oak. I'm afraid to ask this question because it sounds ridiculous, but could the termites be in the floorboards and the droppings be coming up through the hardwood floor? I looked for tiny pinholes but couldn't see any.

Again, a big thanks to all of you for sharing your expert knowledge with me and taking the time to educate me. This will come in handy when the termite inspector is giving me his opinion of the granules.

No, the droppings were there when we moved into the house

As Jim would probably do, and should have asked.........have you tasted the debris yet?

Could be coffee grounds.

Honestly, if you take samples of the droppings to a local University, laboratory, or pest control professionals office, etc. , you should have an answer shortly. Save the lab 'til you exhaust all other options.

• 1 month later...