Borg Warner furnace age

Chad Fabry

Borg Warner MDNM062323

I checked online and the decoder chart. Here's your chance to make the TIJ chart that much better than all the rest.

Is it the same as York? If it's the same as York that makes it an '82 which would be perfect for this 1983 house. If it's the same as York, should Mike change the furnace doc to read Borg/ Warner, see York

BW owned York from 1956 until 1986, when YORK International spun off. In 2005, York International was purchased by Johnson Controls.

I believe that when your furnace was made, a BW labeled unit was the same coding as one with a York label. There are other items on a furnace where you can find numbers to confirm the date of manufacture.

Borg Warner MDNM062323

I checked online and the decoder chart. Here's your chance to make the TIJ chart that much better than all the rest.

Is it the same as York? If it's the same as York that makes it an '82 which would be perfect for this 1983 house. If it's the same as York, should Mike change the furnace doc to read Borg/ Warner, see York

Yes, for decoding purposes, Borg Warner is the same as York. Although it'd be more accurate to say that York is the same as Borg Warner.

You can use the York decoding chart for pretty much any furnace or AC unit whose serial number starts with 4 letters.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Bill and Jim. I appreciate the help.

Even though Jon selfishly tried to change the subject before my needs were sated, I share his sentiments. Thanks Mike.

If you were a woman, I would apologize. Since you're a man, I'm going to turn this incident into a teachable moment. Chad, my friend, life is not fair. I realize it's difficult, but sometimes you simply have to pull yourself together, brush away the tears, and move forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with York and they've sent me an updated nomenclature chart. This is for York, Frazier-Johnson, Luxaire, BW, Coleman products since April 2004. When I get a chance I'll pull down the old chart and add this and a bunch of other stuff I've got to the chart and then post a new one. In the meantime, those of you who see UPG products regularly should print off the nomenclature file below.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif YorkSerialNumberNomenclature.pdf

85.51 KB