My view from the roof today

Reminds me of my days in Loudoun County, VA - the other hangout of the horsey folks. Just take all the same lovely mown grass, perfectly string trimmed creosoted split rail or plank fences and add mountains in the background. Lovely view, Bain.

We were one of the sub-contractors on one of Secretariat's part time homes. The owners built a 3.5 Mil stone home that looked like St. Andrews - 17 masonry fireplaces. The property was bordered on all four sides by highways and that same endless fence. Spectacular.

Looks like a horse farm John, no? Nice views no matter what though.

Absolutely. I'm going back tomorrow to finish up the house and check out the barns.

The photos don't really convey how beautiful it was, from my perch on top of the roof. There were geese, and horses, and dogs, and donkeys (second photo). Totally beautimous.

Nice, but why ain't the grass blue?

BTW, that pond is bigger than my lot[:(]

Tom, I've lived here my whole life, and have never seen blue grass. There is an actual bluegrass strain/variety/whatever-it's-called of grass, and supposedly it becomes so green that it looks blue. But in my experience . . . huh, uh.

Then again, whoever coined the phrase may have been under the influence of another Kentucky product. Good ol' hemp.

Tom, I've lived here my whole life, and have never seen blue grass. There is an actual bluegrass strain/variety/whatever-it's-called of grass, and supposedly it becomes so green that it looks blue. But in my experience . . . huh, uh.

Then again, whoever coined the phrase may have been under the influence of another Kentucky product. Good ol' hemp.

I may be wrong, but I thought it had something to do with the morning dew, a type of grass, and sunlight at the perfect angle made it look blue.

I may be wrong, but I thought it had something to do with the morning dew, a type of grass, and sunlight at the perfect angle made it look blue.

Maybe so. But whether you're right or I am, or we're both wrong . . . I mean, really . . . BLUE grass?

I guess it's nice if you like that sort of thing. I prefer concrete for as far as the eye can see and the fauna of roaming pit bulls.

There's nothing like the glint of early morning sun off the broken glass strewn across the sidewalk.

I kinda like that grass and fence look though......... Very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Speakin' of Bluegrass,

I haven't seen him in 34 years; but I still keep in touch with my first permanent party Platoon Sergeant. He sent me this yesterday. Some of you will recognize some faces in this band. I'm no expert on bluegrass, but it sounds pretty tight to me.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

P.S.

I know it's only psychosomatic, but after watching that video the arthritis in my hands is throbbing like a b****!

Aw, sweet! It truly doesn't get any better than that. Earl Scruggs looks and sounds great at 86 years old. Here he is 45 years ago:

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKdswTJ2vY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

I can kick myself after seeing that Letterman clip. Steve Martin brought his bluegrass show to the nearby state Theatre last month and didn't go.

Banjo pickers are amazing to watch.

Well, I must admit, I've gotten spoiled. The banjo picker on the right is my son in-law, who has an incredible voice. So, every time I go visit my daughter in Florida, I get serenaded by these four guys. They usually set up in the front yard and within about ten minutes, it's an instant concert.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =511470653

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =511470884

He has the link below on his web site, which I put off watching for a bit. I must admit that, as he states, "This is friggin' amazing." - Chinese Bluegrass:

A Yamaha twelve-string has been my personal diversion of choice since I was eleven. It's the pipe organ, of guitars.