Pap Smears Save Lives

There's not many women here, but most of us do have signifiant others to share this with.

OK, it's a LOT more personal than I normally get but if it encourages just one of your significant others, it's worth it.

Don't ask about the medical terms. I don't know. Ask your doctor.

For years, my wife Joan has had annual pap smears, complaining each and every year that it was "that time" again.

In September, the results came back with pre-cancerous cells. Worry, frustration, stress, etc, immediately barged into our lives and hit us upside the head.

A couple of weeks ago, she had a complete hysterectomy. A quick microscopic check during the surgery yielded cancer cells, so the doctor also did a "lymph node dissection" to check if it had spread further.

A few days ago, we received the biopsy results. There was cancer in the uterus, but no sign that it had spread. The doctor is confident that it was caught in time to prevent spreading.

Many years ago, at the relatively young age of 62, my mother died of ovarian cancer that wasn't discovered until a couple of weeks before her death. It had spread way too far too do anything about it. She didn't get regular checkups. I don't even know if tests were available back in the early 90's. Would it have helped? I don't know.

But I know pap smears helped my wife extend her life and our happiness.

Joan is now home and almost ready to resume normal activities for which I am extremely grateful. Thank you to all all those who knew and were praying for us. We appreciate it.

GET YOUR ANNUAL PAP SMEARS.

-

Hi Erby,

Thanks for sharing; I know how tough that is to do - my little sister died of lung cancer and pancreatic cancer took my Dad. Best wishes to you both and a sincere hope that you and Joan will enjoy each others' company and thoughts for many more decades to come.

Tell Joan I thank her for letting you be such an integral part of the TIJ family. [;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike