Exposed flashing tape

Marc

Recent construction. Self flashing vinyl windows with nail flange and an additional flange meant to receive vinyl flashing. Flashing tape is exposed on both sides of just about every window on the house. Is this an issue or is it just workmanship/cosmetic? Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20112200280_007.jpg

32.92 KB

Marc

Recent construction. Self flashing vinyl windows with nail flange and an additional flange meant to receive vinyl flashing. Flashing tape is exposed on both sides of just about every window on the house. Is this an issue or is it just workmanship/cosmetic? Thanks.

At least it shows that they used some peel & stick there.

Thanks for correcting my mistake Brandon. I did mean to say 'siding'.

As long as the self-adhered stuff wasn't exposed to sunlight in any way I should think it would be fine.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It's exposed in narrow slits on just about every window. just like the photo. Didn't have to bend or even touch anything. Gaps are wide enough in some places for me to actually touch the tape with my finger.

I checked the IRC 06', standards referenced by it, vinyl window manufacturer associations, Dupont, can't find any language against exposing the tape.

Client lied. Told me he was thinking about buying the house but later told me he had been living in the house for a year, also said the 1 year warranty expires next month. He's mad at the builder and wants to sue him. He's from that category of new construction homebuyer that thinks because it's new, it's supposed to be perfect.

Except for some vinyl siding that's come loose from the starter strip at the bottom and a stapled roof deck in a hurricane prone area, the house isn't actually too bad. Better than average.

Report will be turned in Monday AM so I've some time to do more research if I can figure where to look.

Marc

Length of UV exposure is product specific.

Protecto Wrap standard self-adhered flashing tape states 120 days maximum exposure, while their foil faced self-adhered flashing is rated for one year.

Fortifibers' FortiFlash instructions state, exposure not to exceed 45 days.

Edit: Found an old JLC article with good information.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif JLC Flexible flashings.pdf

317.5 KB

Length of UV exposure is product specific.

Protecto Wrap standard self-adhered flashing tape states 120 days maximum exposure, while their foil faced self-adhered flashing is rated for one year.

Fortifibers' FortiFlash instructions state, exposure not to exceed 45 days.

Any such info on Tyvek Tape?

Marc

Marc, I think you should explain to this client the effect of temperature on vinyl siding. It needs to have a gap there, or it will buckle in the heat of summer.

Also, there is no call to sue anyone if there are legitimate deficiencies. It is perfectly normal to ask the builder to return for some touchups before the 1 year period expires. They expect a few calls like that.

#3, now that he's lied to you, needlessly, he needs to rebuild trust from you, or you will not be any help to him in a clash with the builder, if one even occurs.

#4, good luck and remember, about 30% of the North American populace is off the rails on the crazy train. and a good portion of that group can't ever be satisfied. [:)]

Foil face may not be unlimited, see my first post.

The JLC article you posted. Middle of the 'Flexible Flashing Specifications' table, rubberized asphalt/aluminum foil...no limitation.

Other designs using foil may be limited though.

Marc

The article was just an overview always stick with manufacturers specs.

I don't see a problem. The tape is exposed for, what, 1/2" on the inner side of the flange?

So what's the worst thing that happens? Over a period of years -- probably longer than this moron will own the house for, that narrow strip of flashing tape might degrade and fall off. So what? The rest of the tape on the flange is behind the vinyl, out of reach of the sun, and will continue to perform just fine. What bad thing is going to happen here?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Maybe I'm not seeing the same thing. Where is the tape exposed?

The flange on the vinyl windows, which eliminates the need for J-channel, are more narrow and deeper than typical J-channel. The vinyl fills only about half the depth of the flange. The result is that the ends of the panels as well as the flashing tape can easily be seen on each side of the windows.

I didn't measure it but I suspects the panels were also cut too short at installation time(greater than 1/4" gap).

The factors are simply lined up.

Marc

I don't see a problem. The tape is exposed for, what, 1/2" on the inner side of the flange?

So what's the worst thing that happens? Over a period of years -- probably longer than this moron will own the house for, that narrow strip of flashing tape might degrade and fall off. So what? The rest of the tape on the flange is behind the vinyl, out of reach of the sun, and will continue to perform just fine. What bad thing is going to happen here?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The other way to look at is; not the degree of exposure but is it installed to manufacturers' installation instructions? For that I would let someone else bless the installation.

There is a disturbing trend to let other people "bless" such things. Are we not capable of knowing as well as anyone else? Are we doomed to be the monkey forever?

I think it behooves all of us to be the expert we are always deferring to.

I still fail to see the problem. It's a teeny bit of exposed tape. How is it a problem?