Trim Question

JohnC

This is a 2009 house with James Hardie Cement Siding. The exterior trim is puffy at many edges from water penetration. Does anyone the correct name of this product? It appears to be some sort of junk fiberboard.

Thanks,

John Callan

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011417201825_Trim%201.jpg

42.25 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011417201848_Trim%202.jpg

46.62 KB

From one manufacturer of moldings...

MDF can be manufactured with special adhesives suitable for exterior applications including brick moulding, mouldings around doors and windows, exterior window sills, column facings, gable vents and louvers, soffit trim and other exterior trim. (my bold)

Or, as a builder, you can save a bunch of money by using regular, interior grade MDF moldings as long as you're willing to skip town before it gets wet.

There is "MedEx" MDF for exterior use. I've had my hands on it once and soaked a piece in the sink for a few weeks. Minor edge swelling (less than 1/32" on a 3/4" piece) but I don't know what would happen after years.

I consider the term "MedEx" to be generic, i.e. there was/is probably more than one manufacturer of similar product, but here's a current one, and note that it says not OK for exterior trim.

http://www.sierrapine.com/index.php?pid=68

There is "MedEx" MDF for exterior use. I've had my hands on it once and soaked a piece in the sink for a few weeks. Minor edge swelling (less than 1/32" on a 3/4" piece) but I don't know what would happen after years.

I consider the term "MedEx" to be generic, i.e. there was/is probably more than one manufacturer of similar product, but here's a current one, and note that it says not OK for exterior trim.

http://www.sierrapine.com/index.php?pid=68

Hi David,

I wouldn't waste any energy trying to convince folks from other parts of the country that any form of OSB is anything more than landfill material. There's just too much misinformation out there about the product. Until it gets more widespread use and has been around in those other areas as long as we've seen it around here, they aren't likely to change their minds.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike