We got ridge vent! I think?

Erby

Hi David,

Those aren't zinc strips; they are the raised bottom portion of the vent that directs the air up and over the ridge. See the drainage slots in them? Without that baffle, wind is able to push rain into ridge vents. The baffle causes wind moving over the ridge to form a low pressure area just above that pulls air up along the underside of the roof from the eaves.

http://www.airvent.com/pdf/installation ... Detail.pdf

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Dang, you got me again. The only vent product I see used in this tiny corner of the world is Cor-A-Vent. It doesn't stick out from under the cap shingle at all. Sometimes roofers install very thin zinc strips... extremely thin, not sure of the gauge but it's minimal...

In the OP photo that looked to me like galv metal designed to hold the water for a second before letting it drain out the slots. Don't accuse me of having no imagination.

Just a small detail missed there :)

I'm getting ready to have a re-roof and am leaning towards the full ridge vents, but will add the cutting the decking as part of the installation.

As they say, common sense isn't all that common.

don't forget to cut the paper too. I've seen that goof before.

I've seen that one once before a few years back on a new construction.

And from a related post regarding re inspects, they called me to go back and re check this. The builder did not fix it like he told them he had.

I didn't hear back after that second visit.

Oh,

You just reminded me of a story Andy Lally - an inspector down near Olympia years ago - told me.

It seems Andy went out to a new home and discovered that there wasn't any air return on the second floor. He reported it and the client asked him to come back and reinspect after it was corrected. So, the call comes in, Andy goes back to the house, walks inside and up the stairs to look at what they've done, and, sure enough, there's a spanking new return at the ceiling in the upstairs hallway.

So, Andy was just about to look away when something caught his eye; a sort of reflection from up inside the return intake grill. What the?.... He pulled out a long screwdriver, reaches up, pushes it through the grill and discovers that there wasn't any opening - they'd painted the ceiling black behind the grill!

If it had been me, I would have felt like I could never trust the builder after that and I would have walked, but it was so long ago that he told me the story, at least twelve years, that I can't remember anymore what the buyer did after that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It's a plastic ridge vent covered with cap shingles.

On another note, I've gone back to re-inspect this type of thing once before.

The person that got the job of sawing out the gap for the ridge vent either forgot or didn't know to limit the depth of his cut to just cut the sheathing. He cut it full blade depth, cutting each of the rafters, on each side of the ridge board, a good two or three inches into the rafter.

Didn't hear back what the results of that ooops was.

I have found where they did not cut out for the ridge vent on homes that been re-roofed.

The roofer had sold them on the item that the ridge vent was need. Most of the houses had gable end vents that was doing the job needed.

I did one house that was two year old and the felt was not cut out. There was a gas leak at one of the furnaces.