Squirrels weren't messing around.

Robert Jones

I also found a pesky squirrel last week. He had chewed a hole through the siding at the very top of the gable of a three story house.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142895114_Squirrel%20web.jpg

23.14 KB

The squirrel had caused significant damage to the insulation and cardboard baffles at the eave vents. This house was only 2 years old.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142895259_squirrel%20web%202.jpg

26.16 KB

Many years (actually decades) ago the parents of a mutual friend of myself and one of my brothers had a squirrel in the attic of their cape. My brother was working for a roofing/siding company at the time and found a couple of holes in the soffits and plugged them up. The tree rats kept getting in and out and had them baffled. One day while they were in the front yard tippin' a few they saw a squirrel on the front of the roof. It lifted a shingle, exposed its entry hole, dove in and the shingle covered the hole, batman of tree rats.

In 1981 the little bastards chewed into the knob-and-tube wiring in the attic of the Provost Marshal's Office on Ft. Devents and started a fire - directly above my office.

The fire burnt through the ceiling into my office, one of the other investigators who had the duty smelled smoke down the hall in his office, came out, looked down the hall, saw smoke coming out of my office, walked down the hall and opened the door to release a fireball. Six MP's downstairs had just enough time on the ground floor to get the PM's secure file pushed out the door and dumped into the snow before the entire building went up.....everything except my friggin evidence room. Not a damned thing burned - it all just got covered in a thick black layer of smoke and water stained.

If it had burned up, I could have done the paperwork in a couple of hours. Those furry little dickheads cost me months of overtime in the way of extra paperwork to document the damage to the evidence in that room, mail it out to the lab, get it re-processed or discard it because it was no longer usable.

Never liked the little red demons after that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Apparently, a lot of folks have a disdain for the creatures. I was on a home inspection a few years back and an old codger across the street was meandering around his yard with a compressed air BB rifle. I didn't put two and two together until a little later, when I heard the distinct puff of released highly compressed air followed a second later by a dull thud. I didn't even have to turn and look. I knew what had just happened. The old guy had a pretty satisfied look on his face, when I finally did look.