Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings

A book review by Jim Morrison

Know what an Ufer ground is? Neither did I until I read this book.

Electrical Inspections of Existing Dwellings by Douglas Hansen, Redwood Kardon, and Mike Casey is a general and simple, yet comprehensive explanation of residential electrical systems - from the utility company, through the panel, and throughout the house. It covers the proper application of virtually every component (and I mean right down to the smallest wire nut) an inspector might encounter as well as the most common misapplications of these components.

The author uses clear and boiled down definitions and walks the reader through the complicated processes and systems by which houses are supplied with electrical power. He uses redundancy to hammer major points home and the most important points are always backed up with a Code reference.

Nearly every page has one of the hundreds of black and white photos, charts, illustrations, or worksheets illustrating the text and making it the most readable book on electrical inspections I’ve seen. Material is presented in easy-to-digest chunks with loads of illustrations by Paddy Morrissey. An experienced inspector could pick it up, flip around a little and learn something useful he could apply to tomorrow’s inspection in less than a minute. Anyone who reads this book cover to cover will easily double their electrical knowledge, but there is just too much information to absorb it all in one read. I’ve read it twice now, and leafing through it before sitting down to write this review, I came across plenty of nuggets of info that I’d already forgotten. It’s replaced a couple of other books and become a staple of my reference library.

It’s also a great refresher on some basic science and loaded with the history of residential wiring. More than just a book about “how things ought to lookâ€

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read this book twice now. The fact is it is readable. I have other text books that I use for reference, but I could never read them.

It's one of my most valued resources.

Jimmy, I already knew what a Ufer ground was. I learned that here at TIJ. You may want to pay better attention.

I should also say that this book gave me real hope early on that this business was not BS. I was already well aware of the problems with Zinzco and FPE, ITE sent this book in with the other materials, and there they were. No mamby-pamby or whitewash....bad stuff, watch out for these and warn your clients. I felt better already.

Brian G.

• 3 years later...

Hi Rich,

You may have noticed that the Amazon store is gone from TIJ; that's because we're planning on building our own. I talked to Douglas by phone just two days ago; and, if things work out the way we hope they will, we may be selling his book, the Code Check materials and other books for inspectors on here in the not-to-far-distant future. In the meantime, as Jimmy suggested, go straight to the source.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 3 years later...