how much would you charge to inspect this?

For me the carriage house would be a days work; minimum 3 hours on site, minimum 3 hours for the report and pics, and if my luck runs consistent - at least 1 1/2 hours on the road.

I'm with Fabry on the big house, it'll either be amazing or it'll be a train wreck. Either way it's a long day, two if I have to wade through a half dozen HVAC systems and Lord only knows how many electrical panels. Then easily 6 hours to write it up.

So, that's a day for the garage, plus a long day and half (best case scenario) for the big house, and that gets me to hump day. I wouldn't touch it for less than $2400, and I'd feel a whole lot better at $3000. It doesn't matter that it won't take a week to do it, mentally and physically it will feel like it did. Charge accordingly, then take the rest of the week off to recover.

I'd probably be around $1,600-$1,800, but would lose out to a lower bidder. I almost always do. Right now I have 4 quotes for big/unusual/multi unit properties on my desk dating back to last summer that I ought to throw out, but I'm holding onto 'just in case'.

Before I give a quote on something out of the ordinary, I go on line to get more info. Trulia usually is a great resource and Bing maps gives me an overhead look at the property from 4 angles. Unless business is humming along just fine at the time, I usually price it out lower than I should, just to get it. Even doing that, after I call back with the bid, I rarely hear from the person again. No big deal. I figure I'm probably being done a favor.

Dave,

This is a unique property for Denver, so a 'standard' pricing either won't be fair to you or won't be fair to the buyer. The level of effort will vary dramatically depending on condition and specifics, how it was built. Like some others, I'd probably give them an hourly price for time on site and an estimated range. I'd also tell them that the time could vary a lot. I'd plan to spend about a day and a half on site.

Don't underestimate your past client's faith in your abilities, and don't undersell yourself. If they can afford this property then they can afford a fair fee to assess its condition.

Good luck with it, sounds like fun.

BTW, hope you enjoyed the program last night. I'd forgotten what a humorous and engaging speaker Diane is. We should have her back to talk about stucco. Hope to see you at future meetings.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I definitely would want more than $825. I was thinking $1200 -$1500. It would be a full day in the house(s) and another full day of report writing I would assume.

I've done one inspection for the buyer in the past (on a MUCH smaller home) Two years ago I charged him $400 for a 2400 sq ft older home (yea he's movin' on up for sure). The equivalent price for the 11,000 sq ft would be about $1800 but I'm afraid I'd be pricing myself out. I know you guys on the coasts are getting way more than us here but my experience has shown that people around here won't pay much more. Maybe I'm

wrong.

I was contacted for an 8000 sqft oldie a few months ago and told them $900. They went with a guy who did it for $600! No way I'm taking on that kind of liability and amount of time for that amount of money.

I'm going to an ASHI meeting tonight so I'll ask around there as well.

Thanks again and best of luck to everyone out there.

Now that the fee has been established, what will the product look like?

Dave, this is not personal. I think Garet and the other ASHI people are the only inspectors qualified to offer a suggested price.

There are several folks on this board that do this sort of work and all of their work products will be quite different.

Some will be very poorly done and nothing more than a super-sized home inspection. Some will be very simple, such as "the roof is functional and performing as intended." Properly done this simple reporting may be perfect for that client. The cost of the simple may be less than the "average."

We are inspecting a frat house this morning that has 21 bedrooms, central boiler (with domestic water), brick veneer, gable roof, 40yrs old. social room and kitchen. Two inspectors will be there couple of hours and armed with 100's of photos a simple report will be written and delivered late this afternoon. It is what the client wants and there will be no attempt to CYA or write about stuff they could care less about. Manage your client expectations and agree on a fee. This project will be approx 10 m/h and the charge is abt $1050.00+-.

I will bet Kurt and I could do this in couple of hours. Mike and me would be there all day. Scott and me would spend the morning talking with the kids, have lunch and knock it out later this afternoon. You all know I am kidding to make the point that we are all very different.

The first few years in the business you have to have some guidelines for these unusual tasks. You must deliver the "same hamburger" for all residential home inspections, but the larger, eclectic , unusual ones are very unique.

Sometimes, it is wise to become a manager on these larger ones.

Hi Les,

I know you're elbowing the ASHI guys 'cuz their association warns them of the dire consequences of being indicted for price fixing as a result of talking about price, but not everyone who isn't in ASHI would know or understand that and on the surface it sounds like a diss of all non-ASHI folks.

It frustrates me when ASHI guys do that without providing context because we already have far too much organizational dissing going on in this business.

Is that enough words?

By the way - the avatar?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Wow. This is not where I wanted this thread to go. Les, I don't even know what you are talking about. I'm sure everyone of you are more experienced than I am but I am not looking to do any price fixing or whatever. I just needed some advice on a job that I don't have any experience on. Moderator please delete the thread. Definitely not looking to stir any pots.

Never mind.

Dave

Don't worry about it. You're not "price fixing," you're finding out how folks in different regions structure their fees. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't see anyone here suggesting that everyone follow the same pricing structure or set fees the same for the same services.

Individually, we're super small time operators. We aren't even on the feds' radar. Now, put a bunch of folks together that work in one region who normally compete with one another and catch them agreeing to set their prices the same across the board for the same services and I think you'd have price fixing.

Could be wrong...often am; but I don't think anyone here made any attempt to fix any prices - they just offered opinions of what each would charge if the job came to them and answers were all over the map.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Les, I don't even know what you are talking about. Definitely not looking to stir any pots.

Dave

I do, not the ashi part, but the report part.

Most folks (everyone?) would write the report like a regular house and end up with some 180 page monster that's impenetrable. Some (me and Les) would ask the customer what they want, we'd mix that with what we know they need, and come up with a useful document in the minimum number of pages.

I've done 40 unit apartment buildings in an afternoon, and other's in 2 days. I've written reports for mansions in a half hour, and other's in 6 hours. It all depends on my pre-inspection agreement and my conversations with the customer. Most don't want, or need, the huge pile that is proudly delivered, and even fewer know what to do with it.

The largest problem in the entire process is the pile that nearly all inspectors hold so dear, i.e., their "report writing software". It forces folks into the same can, regardless of their wonderment of custom boilerplate or imagined importance of pagination and editorial flair.

Point being, a big house doesn't necessarily mean a big job.

Also, don't worry about stirring pots......it's what we do here.

hey Mike,

I forgot that many of our brethern on this board may not "get" the ASHI reference. I apologize.

However, don't think I am starting anything negative about ASHI. As most of you know I have 25yrs with them. I was poking fun at myself!

Dave, I like your post, participated from your post, learned from your post and found insight into our participants. Why would I, or any other moderator, remove it! It was a gooooooood post!

We are not "price fixing" here. Just the opposite.

Dave, after you get to know me, I ain't so bad. (just old)

• 2 weeks later...

Unfreakinbelievable

I just spoke to someone that also gave a price for inspecting this property - $1200.00 less than what the client is paying me.

http://www.countylinesmagazine.com/article.aspx?aid=931

Hi Bill,

That's because we have folks jumping into this business that are approaching it like selling fruit. On this company's website a house half that size - 8,500 sf - costs $899 with a pool and spa. I don't know how a company that plans to be as large as these guys say they are going to be expects to stay in business at those rates.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike