Counter Flash with No Step Flashing

Mike Lamb

I've seen this before but could not verify there was no step flashing. Here I could. I'm also think with a hard wind driven rain this could be a real leaker. The roof is about 4 years old. This pic does not help the roofer or owner.

I think roofer's should just read and follow the instructions.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201262892041_029.jpg

46.15?KB

Thanks for your comments.

there's your BINGO

unprotected ply substrate (vertical mulch) will wick and rot

they can fix wall/flashing details now or fix wall/flashing details, structure and associated moisture intrusion issues down the road

ignoring the facts don't lessen the cost...

Click to Enlarge
tn_201262892041_029.jpg

46.15?KB

I may be wrong but that picture shows what seems to be step flashing, cut at an angle at the lower edge instead of straight as I usually see.

Marc

That could be. It's not what I normally see either. And the flashing would have been installed behind the plywood wall sheathing which is also atypical.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201262892041_029.jpg

46.15?KB

I may be wrong but that picture shows what seems to be step flashing, cut at an angle at the lower edge instead of straight as I usually see.

Marc

I see step flashing too, installed behind plywood siding, covered by vinyl siding. The "counter flashing" was installed by the siding guy IMO.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201262892041_029.jpg

46.15?KB

Marc

That could be. It's not what I normally see either. And the flashing would have been installed behind the plywood wall sheathing which is also atypical.

It is still wrong.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201262892041_029.jpg

46.15?KB

Marc

It is still wrong.

I realize that wood siding touching the roof is wrong and should have been corrected but are you objecting to;

-covering wood siding with vinyl?

-covering wood siding with vinyl without a housewrap?

-covering wood siding with vinyl without additional step flashing?

If there was housewrap added over the wood siding and there happened to be housewrap under the wood siding, would that be an issue?

I cannot judge 100% by a photo but I don't see the problem.

-New siding, old wood siding, step flashing, what's missing?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201262892041_029.jpg

46.15?KB

Marc

It is still wrong.

I realize that wood siding touching the roof is wrong and should have been corrected but are you objecting to;

-covering wood siding with vinyl?

-covering wood siding with vinyl without a housewrap?

-covering wood siding with vinyl without additional step flashing?

If there was housewrap added over the wood siding and there happened to be housewrap under the wood siding, would that be an issue?

I cannot judge 100% by a photo but I don't see the problem.

I agree with John K. As a former roofer, a literate one, galvanized flashing corrodes quite quickly if incidental moisture cannot escape.

Marc

The plywood may not be old siding; it's probably just the wall sheathing. Could you tell Mike?

What was visible from the attic, if accessible?

If the plywood "siding" was original, then it was improperly installed since it's too close to the roof line. Every installation detail I have ever seen indicates that step flashing needs to be installed in between the siding and wall sheathing. If there is step flashing run in behind the plywood, then it's less of an issue, but still wrong. The plywood is most likely going to rot out over time.

The house was 1984 I think. This newer roof was after a tear-off. The angled counter flashing was installed under the siding so siding had to be removed. I thought there was no step flashing at the inspection. Only after looking at the photo did I consider that there might be step flashing behind the plywood.

I had to position my camera on the roof, shine a flashlight in there, and lift the flashing to get this pic. I did not see what the photo shows during the inspection.

So maybe that's step flashing under the plywood and maybe not. Maybe there's an MB behind the vinyl placed above that flashing and maybe not. I don't know why they just didn't step flash and remove all the drama.

The attic had excessive mold under the roof sheathing.

• 3 months later...

Very common to see substandard work like that. Too lazy to follow the manufacturer's installation instructions and the code requirements.

Most manufacturers require 5" of vertical flashing with 7x10 pieces and the code since 2009 (IRC) requires 4" of vertical flashing. Step flashing with counterflashing is the only acceptable method. I just did an expert witness for this exact situation that resulted in leaks during driving rainstorms.

I've seen this before but could not verify there was no step flashing. Here I could. I'm also think with a hard wind driven rain this could be a real leaker. The roof is about 4 years old. This pic does not help the roofer or owner.

I think roofer's should just read and follow the instructions.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201262892041_029.jpg

46.15?KB

That appears to be step flashing and the siding acts as counter flashing. This may be OK if we had better photographic evidence and could verify the height of the vertical portion of the step flashing.